Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Dog Area

we have recently completely redesigned our garden dug it all back to scratch and we are left with one corner 4x8ft patch that is in dry shade on clay and is used by the dogs for toileting purposes.

They have been trained to use this area as we have a small garden and 2 children.

The dogs will only pee and poop on grass so we cannot gravel it but by the same token its currently an unsightly bald patch of mud where i doubt anything would grow any suggestions?

• Jules26Jules26 Posts: 1

Hi, we have a similar area for our dog to use and we covered it with bark chippings. It looks good and if the poo is not quite solid it's easier to pick up because you can take some of the chippings surrounding it. It's also very cost effective and easy to top up.

• martymowermartymower Posts: 113

got be honest i quite amazied that that they no were to go and poo/pee in this space experince aving a hound/dog myself she my dog i had she pee/poo anywere with no respech to anyone i ho[pe this works out for you ( my advice  is walk the the dog out your garden and take the kids with you lol) .

good lukimage

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    I've done a lot of long distance sailing, and other sailors with dogs had a very cunning strategy. They put a square of AstroTurf on deck, and the dogs were trained to use this as a toilet area. When they'd done their stuff, the AstroTurf (tethered to a line) was chucked overboard to be sluiced off. I'm not suggesting that you set sail, but something along those lines might be worth considering.
  • Luisa-ssLuisa-ss Posts: 13

Wow - some excellent suggestions.  See three heads are better than one!

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619

I didn't believe it till I saw it, but a local lady has a lurcher that she's trained to poo directly into a bag. She puts the opened bag down on the pavement or wherever, the dog positions itself and produces. Dog unfortunately hasn't got opposable thumbs so can't tie up the handles itself, but still pretty impressive.

• Luisa-ssLuisa-ss Posts: 13

At one point as the back garden took so long to redesign we had been able to get our dogs to go to the toilet on command because they had to use the open front yard which of course was very public and not at all enclosed so was quite embarrasing having them pee and poop first thing in the morning in my jimmies so they had to hurry.

• genigeni Posts: 2

How do you train them to go where you want?

• SpecialKSpecialK Posts: 1
    Hi I have two border collies who have their own toilet patch which is gravelled. As I have a large garden it really does work out very well plus it's nice not to have dog mess on the grass. I trained them by taking them to the gravel area on long leads and once they do their business give them lots of praise and treats, it does work. They even go on commands which is very useful!
  • weejennyweejenny Posts: 386

i once asked a dog training friend what am i doing wrong with my two dogs she was very quick to reply. you have terriers. I might try this so much more hygenic

• neatbushneatbush Posts: 34

Hi, ive got a small garden and have two dogs. they destroyed the lawn i had so i replaced with gravel. the dogs go on the gravel and everywhere else too! well done to those who have trained there dogs. gravel is good as i can wash it down if you find any nasties [if you know what i mean]