London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
13 messages
kru
21/01/2014 at 22:48

Please can anybody suggest or recommend plants I can grow on dry stone wall? Which one looks good and also work well?

Thank you

21/01/2014 at 22:56

Tried the rhs website kru?

21/01/2014 at 23:08

If you can get pockets of soil then campanulas are lovely, I also grow violets in my walls and phlox. Trying to get as much flowers in for the bees etc. Flea bane seems to do well. I just googled 'plants for dry stone walls' in images and quite a lot comes up.

21/01/2014 at 23:45

Aubretia works well and is good for pollinators. I also like fleabane as suggested above.

22/01/2014 at 09:30

http://data7.blog.de/media/202/6543202_09c8fb7525_m.jpg

Not my photo, though.

Sedums for rockeries work well too, they don't need much earth or water.

22/01/2014 at 09:33

I love the lichen 

kru
22/01/2014 at 10:43

Dave had a glance at rhs site. 

Dashwood I have tried Google search plants for dry stone wall. As, I am naive at gardening I wanted to know other people experience. Thank you for the suggestions. I will google them too.

higgy50, busy lizzie, nutcutlet, Thank you for the suggestions.

Please keep your suggestions or recommendations coming in. 

Thank you

22/01/2014 at 21:36

Lewisias are real eye catchers.  Plant them out in spring.  Ideal for sharp drainage in sun, even in pots

Kru, do you want something vigorous or small and "dainty"?

On a dry stone wall here in Cornwall I grow aubretia, alyssum, hardy osteospermums, white Arabis,Helianthemums, verbena homestead purple, Erigeron, Mesembryanthemums and hypericum Olympican.  These give a riot of colour throughout spring and summer.  

22/01/2014 at 23:11

Verdun, that sounds lovely and great to keep the interest going throughout the summer months!

Arabis is a good suggestion and the one I had in my old garden gave off a lovely scent.

The other thing that I have grown on the dry parts of my rockery are Californian Poppy, they would like the dry conditions and add a lovely splash of bright orange although you can get pink and cream varieties also. Only annual but might be worth buying a packet of seed and sprinkling over the gaps in the wall and see what grows!?...

22/01/2014 at 23:25

Some of my neighbours grow poppies and they look sensational ......when in flower.  However in mid summer they stop flowering and because they are so vigorous amd occupy quite an area the space is then just a waste.  Difficult ....if they flowered longer I wold grow them.  There are apparently newer varieties now....anyone growing them?

22/01/2014 at 23:48

I grow them in my wildflower area but as you say they don't last long. An alternative which might be worth a go I know as Pheasant's Eye? These are bright red and flower for longer than poppies during June and July. I had one just pop up in the garden a couple of years ago and by dead-heading kept it going for quite some time.

23/01/2014 at 06:53

I use erigeron - the little daisy.  It cascades well and flowers all summer. Sempervirums/houseleeks do well too, and the campanula portenschlagia (?? Prob spelt wrong)

23/01/2014 at 07:40

Pooortin, portenssshsli, pourtemshc.......that campanula is a bit invasive though chicky.    Ha ha 

email image
13 messages