Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Evergreen hedging query

Can anyone please give me some feedback on what would make a new evergreen hedging as a divide between two houses. Currently I have a lovely display of bamboos but they have grown too well and the neighbour is complaining.

Ideally I want to grow to be at least 6ft tall.

• You could always go for a good old fashioned privet hedge. There have been a couple of threads about native hedges which would give you some ideas too. Lonicera nitida would make a decent hedge and one of my neighbours has used the purple berberis in a mixed hedge which looks quite good. It does have some sharp thorns though. How about holly?
  • Holly  is a good suggestion - prickly but not too prickly to cut, berries, wildlife friendly and it looks great. I have planted siome young plants and they have grown more quickly than I expected. I think planting a new hr=edg will be a lot easier than digging out the bamboo! image

• I wonder if you would like laurel, mine is now eight feet high and makes a lovely background 'wall' to a border of colourful perennials and only needs trimming about every eighteen months.

• i have Lonicera nitida hedges dotted all over the place. Very quick growing and easy to maintain. Only drawback needs clipping every 5 6 wks, but not a difficult job if hedge is straight.

• KeefKeef Posts: 2

Thank you all for your advice. Current thinking is that either I go for a hooly hedge or I will go for a berry wildlife hedge with elder, sloes etc.  Whatever the choice will look great, give the wildlife a good feed and not having to cut out the bamboo runners will be a great saving.