Today 26°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
21 to 34 of 34 messages
14/04/2014 at 21:09

Oops, a guilty of skimming.... 

Ta, Panda.

14/04/2014 at 21:21
4thPanda wrote (see)

Noodle, Hartley posted a link to his(?) photo bucket account where two pics can be seen 

4thPanda wrote (see)

Noodle, Hartley posted a link to his(?) photo bucket account where two pics can be seen 

Her actaully - Hartley is the rabbit

14/04/2014 at 21:26

Sorry Hartley. . took a punt and got it wrong  Still love your boat though 

14/04/2014 at 21:26
4thPanda wrote (see)

Love the boat Hartley  Am allowed boat envy? 

Thank you  She's a bit of a project like the house and  garden but is useable. And with the 75 hp engine on back she flies!

24/04/2014 at 23:13
hartleyhare wrote (see)
4thPanda wrote (see)

Love the boat Hartley  Am allowed boat envy? 

Thank you  She's a bit of a project like the house and  garden but is useable. And with the 75 hp engine on back she flies!

A boat that flies?  Is that like those planes that float on water?

25/04/2014 at 09:28
st ephie wrote (see)
A boat that flies?  Is that like those planes that float on water?
LOL! She feels like she's flying as the bow comes up out of the water when she's up on plane cruising along at 35-40mph ( for some odd reason her speedo says mph and not knots).

25/04/2014 at 10:55

Harleyhare I garden on a slope and the plant that has kept the bank in place during the deluges is Cotoneaster dammeri. It is an evergreen ground cover that has tiny star flowers that bees love and bright red berries that birds take. It is easy to  chop about it truly low maintenance and secures soil. frogs shelter under ours year round.

not exciting or exotic but gets the job done - bit like me really. : )

25/04/2014 at 13:17
Marinelilium wrote (see)

Harleyhare I garden on a slope and the plant that has kept the bank in place during the deluges is Cotoneaster dammeri. It is an evergreen ground cover that has tiny star flowers that bees love and bright red berries that birds take. It is easy to  chop about it truly low maintenance and secures soil. frogs shelter under ours year round.

not exciting or exotic but gets the job done - bit like me really. : )

Ooh, thank you, I'll have a look around the garden centres or online for it. How big does it spread? I might need more than one.

I'm not exciting or exotic either although I'm not sure I always get the job done - depends on the job

25/04/2014 at 19:53

Talking of exotics Harleyhare, the ground cover cotoneaster is brilliant for wedging seasonal containers in between the woody branches. Even top heavy plantings manage to stay upright on breezy days.

They spread a good metre and keep weeds at bay Too. So exotic pots and functional soil retention could be 'job done'. 

25/04/2014 at 19:57

Oops I meant Hartleyhare... Harleyhare is a bunny on a bike! 

03/05/2014 at 13:30
hartleyhare wrote (see)

Hi Everyone,

Firstly this looks like a great place to learn about gardening and gets lots of help and advice  I have to say that I am not much of a gardener, a few pots are about my limit. I like the idea of it but the reality tends to be all together something different - lol!

Anyways, I need some advice please about what to do to rectify a problem. I have a piece of ground that backs onto the driveway. There was a flat bit that sloped away from the drive. It was turfed. However, the builders dumped a load of soil and rubble on it from making a new patio and in my madness I decided to try and turn it into a sort of raised bed. I laid more soil - 4 tons of it in fact - on top of the builders mess and then shaped it so that there was a bank of earth in the middle and a flatish bit around the outside. I had planned to put in wooden borders where it sloped away ( to stop the gravel slipping down ) and then after planting up with wildlife friendly plants I was going to cover it all with gravel and  rocks and driftwood, etc. The problem I have now is that the wooden borders  cannot be knocked into the soil as its just loose, so nothing to actually hold them in place. The 4 extra tons I added has made it too deep to reach the solid earth underneath and when you do get to the solid earth its actually hard packed gravel and rock.. And because the soil is just loose it is starting to slip down the slope when it rains. Its difficult to describe it all, pictures would be far better, but I don't know how to add them here.

So if anyone can understand my slightly incoherent ramblings and offer some advice I would be most grateful  Ijust  need a way to secure the wooden borders at the top of the slope.

Well, it sounds like a s***-heap ... but the pictures don't look so bad. I thought you had a big round heap in the middle of a square lawn.

There's a steep earth bank by the canal near here that's been slowly creeping downhill for years. The towpath's getting slightly narrower every year, but it's a very slow process. You should be alright with ground cover stabilising it, but if it flows down against that wall on the right side you'll get damp issues there. You could just shovel it all back to the top in five years' time, I suppose.

Looking at the nice view, I can believe you when you say digging beyond a certain depth is hard. I've tried digging in the Dales and been tampted to put the spade away and make some dynamite. If you don't want to go to the trouble (and rubble) of making holes in bedrock, there is still a way to concrete in a post. You need to build forms for the concrete first, out of cheap MDF board and 2"x2" pine. Put all the pine and screws on the outside so the inside's nice and smooth, sit the thing on bare bedrock, shave bits off the underside until it sits level, stand the post in the middle of it, pour in the wet concrete mix, make sure the post's upright and leave it to set. Once it's done you can dismantle the form and use it for the next one or you can do them all at once, toss the MDF in the bin and use the pine for kindling.

A fence built this way won't have the stability to stop horses or stay upright in a wind with those lap panels on it (I swear they're modelled on windmill sails) but if you're only putting in 2' posts and the bottom 9" of each are in the concrete you'll have some pretty stable things.

Then you put rails across the posts on the uphill side so the weight of the soil is pushing wood against

03/05/2014 at 13:32
hartleyhare wrote (see)

Hi Everyone,

However, the builders dumped a load of soil and rubble on it from making a new patio and in my madness I decided to try and turn it into a sort of raised bed. I laid more soil - 4 tons of it in fact - on top of the builders mess and then shaped it so that there was a bank of earth in the middle and a flatish bit around the outside. I had planned to put in wooden borders where it sloped away ( to stop the gravel slipping down ) and then after planting up with wildlife friendly plants I was going to cover it all with gravel and  rocks and driftwood, etc. Its difficult to describe it all, pictures would be far better, but I don't know how to add them here.

Well, it sounds like a s***-heap ... but the pictures don't look so bad. I thought you had a big round heap in the middle of a square lawn.

There's a steep earth bank by the canal near here that's been slowly creeping downhill for years. The towpath's getting slightly narrower every year, but it's a very slow process. You should be alright with ground cover stabilising it, but if it flows down against that wall on the right side you'll get damp issues there. You could just shovel it all back to the top in five years' time, I suppose.

Looking at the nice view, I can believe you when you say digging beyond a certain depth is hard. I've tried digging in the Dales and been tampted to put the spade away and make some dynamite. If you don't want to go to the trouble (and rubble) of making holes in bedrock, there is still a way to concrete in a post. You need to build forms for the concrete first, out of cheap MDF board and 2"x2" pine. Put all the pine and screws on the outside so the inside's nice and smooth, sit the thing on bare bedrock, shave bits off the underside until it sits level, stand the post in the middle of it, pour in the wet concrete mix, make sure the post's upright and leave it to set. Once it's done you can dismantle the form and use it for the next one or you can do them all at once, toss the MDF in the bin and use the pine for kindling.

A fence built this way won't have the stability to stop horses or stay upright in a wind with those lap panels on it (I swear they're modelled on windmill sails) but if you're only putting in 2' posts and the bottom 9" of each are in the concrete you'll have some pretty stable things.

Then you put rails across the posts on the uphill side so the weight of the soil is pushing wood against wood, not pulling all your nails out. Then you can put your chemical-soaked rot-resistant retaining wall on the uphill side of the rails. Make sure there's soil (or the builders' waste material from under your mound) packed in downhill of the fence bases to stop them sledging away.

The fence will slowly get toppled by slumping soil, but it'll be something your grandchildren have to fix one day.

Just kidding about the dynamite. Too risky. I'd use TNT.

08/05/2014 at 22:27

Hello....I`ve always been good at creating this kind of problem too, "it seemed a good idea at the time" syndrome.  As things are at the mo I think it may be a plan to make a pathway by that building and maybe a retaining wall with broken paving slabs against the raised bed.  This has worked in my garden.  I made a row of broken bits of slabs with the best bit showing, and each further row an inch further back, so the whole thing was sloping inwards toward the bank.  That may stop damp getting in to the building, and keep the soil where it should be.  Vinca minor (perriwinkle) and sedum or any ground hugging, spreading plants will help to  keep everything in place.

09/05/2014 at 10:50

How about using gabion blocks to act as retaining walls?  Strong mesh "boxes" filled with stone/rubble not only will look attractive but are a relatively cheap solution.

It sounds like you have some rubble already which could be retrieved and used to fill the gabion.

I'm intending to use this solution to part terrace my sloping garden this summer.

email image
21 to 34 of 34 messages