Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Feature Planting

Hi all,

first time posting on the forum but regular reader of all the hints and tips everyone puts on here.

I'm looking for some ideas to convert my cast iron chimnea into a feature for my garden, as its just outside the doors and looking rather tired! Its about 50cm wide at the base with the spout at the top going up to 6ft high.

Was thinking climbers/trailers maybe? amy suggestions welcome!

Thanks.

• hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

Does not look as though you have much if any, soil around it to plant climbers. If you do, then some nicely coloured ivies would do the trick with some soil inside it for some ferns?

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 3,502

I think I'd paint it a nice shiney black and put pots around the base and where the pink can is, assuming it is not going to be used.

Wearside, England.
  • Groundhog2Groundhog2 Posts: 7

Thanks all, some good ideas to get me going. Actually thought of filling it with soil/compost and planting from within to allow growth out of the grill (as you said verdun). Maybe something protruding and / or trailing out of the top. 

We wont use it to burn anything but don't want to get rid either!