Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

flower bed in front of a hedge

Hi guys I have a 6 ft privet hedge in my front garden , I really want a large semi circle flower bed in front of it, if I leave a strip of grass so its easy to cut the hedge the bed won't be very deep so would you just not bother with the strip of grass? Am I going to have trouble finding plants that will grow?

Thanks for any help

Dave

• I've got flower beds in front of privet hedges.   So the answer is no you won't have trouble finding plants that will grow.

I was going to post you some photographic evidence but the forum isn't playing and I got an error message

Eureka... managed one anyway!

• dominomandominoman Posts: 150

Lovely garden path.  That's the look I am going for in my garden.

I'll skip on the horse's head though!

• Rather than a garden path as such, it's a little hide away seating area.   Going round an old millstone it's what I call my "cool" garden.   All planted blues and restful and a seat in the shade next to the lovely tuned Corinthian Bells wind chimes.   Perfect place for sitting with a good book and an even better glass of champagne on a summer's evening image

• Hi NorthernLass2 , what a beautiful garden you have, that's just the sort of planting I had in mind but thought the ground may be too dry in front of the hedge, I now feel inspired to go ahead and get the bed dug , I have also decided against a semi circle so will just see how it evolves

Thanks for your input its much appreciated

Dave

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Dave, circles and wavy lines are better than a straight border if you have the room.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Lyn I have already dug a wavy bed so was going to carry on throughout the garden, I don't really like straight lines.

Tetley thanks ,I didn't want to leave a strip of grass but thought it might be wise so it would be easier to cut the hedge but it would mean less planting space so I will dig the bed right up to the hedge. I will post pics when it's done

Thanks guys

Dave

• The horse's head is a chainsaw carving done by a friend who is a tree surgeon.   He also did me a very nice owl.

• NorthernLass - I love the sundial at a jaunty angle! image

'What time is it?'

'No idea and I don't give a damn, I'm relaxing in the garden!'