Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

flower-bed-in-the-winter

Hi

I'm pretty new to gardening and only this year graduated from pots to actually digging out a proper bed. All summer I have had Poppies, Sunflowers, Cornflowers and Lavender in this new flower bed.

It is at the front of the house in full sun and heavy clay soil. I have no idea what to do with it over the winter so it looks pleasant. I want to plant something in it to keep the colour and I have been thinking of pansies and crocuses plus daffodils and such like.

I was also thinking of one of those red dwarf dogwoods but I wouldn't want it to be in the way of summer flowers next year.

Can anyone give suggestions?

I have attached two photos. One of the bed when it was first planted and one taken yesterday.

Thank you.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,032

A bed in winter will never look as good as a summer bed, but with careful planning you can have something in flower most of the year, though not very much in winter. Bulbs are a good bet, starting with snowdrops and chionodxa (Glory of the Snow). To bulk it out a bit, especially if there is a bit of shade, hellebores - but the leaves will still be there in summer. Violas are lovely, planted in the autumn they will be a mass of flowers once the weather starts warming up. Here is a link to the RHS page on Daphnes some of which flower in winter, smell wonderful and aren't too big.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Thank you Busy-Lizzie

I got that page on Daphnes and they look ideal for me. I especially like that they are fragranced as i walk past the spot to get to my car. 

That's all great information

Thanks again

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,032
    Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Thanks Busy-Lizzie

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

Its sometimes nice to have some evergreen structure left when all the perennials die down - I have some box balls in my flowerbeds that disappear in the summer (because they are hidden by other plants - not because they have magical powersimage) but come in to their own in the winter.  They look great in frost and snow.