London (change)
Today 12°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 5°C
101 to 120 of 156 messages
28/07/2014 at 22:17

I was quite in love with my Japanese Maple, until Pete8 posted his pics! How beautiful Pete8, I have complete garden envy.

My front garden is next years project, when we moved in we made the front garden 'easy maintenance'. It has the maple, a tiny acer I bought from a garden centre 3 years ago - I think it' still the same height today as it was back then - a berberis, a forsythia and a mildew covered minature willow. I am hoping to get the willow out this year and replace it with a Magnolia Stellata instead.

So, please excuse the slate chips and the bland state of my front garden, but even so, I still love my maple tree

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/54128.jpg?width=500&height=350&mode=max

28/07/2014 at 22:37

It's a beauty mrst, not bland at all with that super star you don't need anything else 

28/07/2014 at 23:22

Bekkie, did I hear correctly, you  are going go erect a forty foot fence and saw down a tree!!!  

Ye gods! I'm astounded. 

Give that woman a medal. 

I hope your OH will be making the drive.  

28/07/2014 at 23:44

MrsT the Maple is the star in your front garden. I dont think slate chips are bland, they must compliment the green of the tree beautifully when wet and add that touch of difference to the usual lawn or bark  (like mine!).

Willows need a lot of space I think and are a statement tree and a half! Lovely shape though  .

Interested in your berberis, do you prune it? I ask because mine are taking over the shrubbery

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/54140.jpg?width=350

and I think I planted them too close to the fence 

29/07/2014 at 07:27
Beautifuls pic guys

Yes BizzieB, you did hear right! The fence will be made out of scaffold boards i was given, will need my OH to help with that as they are almost 20ft long! The tree is dead, has been for a while so im hoping it wont be too bad, just need to save up for a new saw!
29/07/2014 at 08:31

Lovely pic Bizzie, the white daisies look stunning at the fore front of the photograph, really lovely, I knew it would be 

Bekkie if you pull this project off your a far better woman than me! Hope you keep us posted with your plans and progress 

29/07/2014 at 08:50

Morning BizzieB, yes my Berberis had a drastic haircut last night in fact. I should of taken before photo's, but will add an after pic later on to show you. It had grown to over 6ft tall since it's last chop in March, so have cut it back and shaped it again. They are beautiful plants and I will definately be keeping it when I re-do the front next year. Your right about the slate looking lovely when wet, and living in Wales thats about 89% of the time, haha.

Your front garden looks lovely, the berberis looks great with those white flowers - sorry, new to gardening and not sure what they are! Feel a total moron on here sometimes with all the knowledge others have.

29/07/2014 at 09:16

Oops! BeausMum, sorry, ,  I sneaked that in.  That was in my back garden in reply to MrsT and her Berberis. A late post, think I fell asleep soon after!

Off to the dentists for a lie down  

29/07/2014 at 09:16

Don't worry mrst you're not alone  I thought I was a bit of a gardener till I joined this forum  You're certainly no gardening moron as your pics show you're quite a gardening angel  Look forward to seeing more x

29/07/2014 at 09:17

Oh Bizzie enjoy your lie down!  Hope no ouchs! 

29/07/2014 at 11:44

MrsT, sorry I should have said that was my back garden. Posted late last night and got carried away.

You can see the shrubs reaching for light as the cherry tree grew (and grew). It's one of my favourites, it had small flowers in the spring and so I expect berries in the autumn. Lovely colour too. Look forward to the photos.

The white flower is Leucanthamum vulgare, grows vigourously and I've staked it this year as it tends to flop. Always a good show of flowers, right through to October. 

We are practically neighbours! I live close to the Welsh border  in Herefordshire  can see the rain coming this way from here, good for my garden!

29/07/2014 at 11:47

MrsT, sorry I should have said that was my back garden. Posted late last night and got carried away.

You can see the shrubs reaching for light as the cherry tree grew (and grew). Berberis is one of my favourites, it had small flowers in the spring and so I expect berries in the autumn. Lovely colour too. Look forward to the photos.

The white flower is Leucanthamum vulgare, grows vigourously and I've staked it this year as it tends to flop. Always a good show of flowers, right through to October. 

We are practically neighbours! I live close to the Welsh border  in Herefordshire. I can see the rain coming this way from here, good for my garden! 

29/07/2014 at 13:09

Sooooo Bizzie we are still in suspenders awaiting your front garden pics! Enough of your late night tricks  

Bizzie youve reminded me I have a little cherry tree of some sorts which is pretty in spring then that's it! I wouldn't mind shaping it but it's real crappy shape and not a lot I can do with it? I'll try and post later for some good ideas  

29/07/2014 at 14:27

Back to the beginning!    I had to move my spindle tree out of season 2 years ago. I kept it well watered , half  a can a day. Eventually most of the leaves dropped, some remained to colour up in the autumn, but it survivied and last year and this is in good shape. I am sure with the care you have given it it will be fine.

29/07/2014 at 15:13

That's good of you airwaves to message us  I shall ensure Victoria sponge sees your message

Do we get to see your spindle? 

29/07/2014 at 15:30
Apologies for not replying sooner!!!
The rose is called 'Deep Secret' and is a Hybrid Tea
29/07/2014 at 15:33

Thank you ngcards 

Sorry another question! What is the flower on your profile pic? It's lovely and I would like one! 

29/07/2014 at 15:35
It's dianthus 'Crimson Rim' I bought it from Thompson & Morgan earlier this year, gorgeous isn't it
29/07/2014 at 16:01

Very blooming gorgeous and gonna place my order ASAP thank you 

29/07/2014 at 16:09

Hello Beaus Mum, sorry it must wait for another year. I can see it through a window but am still  recovering from major surgery at the end of June, hopefully i will be able to walk again in 3 months time. Friends tell me how things are doing and my husband dead heads, at least that is what he says he is doing for which I am greatful Prior to my accident the thought of him gardening was not on the cards!

101 to 120 of 156 messages