London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
41 to 60 of 61 messages
09/04/2013 at 16:59

..what lovely plants and somewhere nice to put them... I would have enjoyed doing all that too...

09/04/2013 at 17:08

Thank you Salino.

The other side of the garden will be done as and when - hopefully both sides will feflect the same colours - red, gold. and bright yellow. There are still some perennials to go in on the side in the phot but the weather is against me

09/04/2013 at 17:16

..we hope very much to see some more photos when you've got round to it, so much to look forward to... I love seeing other people's garden choices...

I also love Photinia 'Little Red Robin' and have found it to be very hardy, growing in this decorative pot with some annuals - photo taken last June.... it's survived freezing for long periods and I've just cut it back for this year so I can replant around it.... it's so good to have this plant in a dwarf version...

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/21188.jpg?width=350

09/04/2013 at 17:35

I don't like the big photinia but I like this one, far more delicate looking

15/04/2013 at 22:00

A lot of important information is available i found some of them useful to, Thanks keep posting.

23/04/2013 at 16:04

As this thread seems to be highlighted in GW magazine May edition I thought I would up date  what has been done.

By the concrete porch wall  at the front is now an Ilex 'blue Angel' standard. It will never grow big. Right up in that corner, today I have planted a Cupressus 'Goldcrest'. I found the Taxus was lovely, Verdun but much to expensive. In fact this is a mistake as it has the Erica right in front but a hardy fuchsia between the 2 should detract from the 'glare'.

I also finally found the Nandina 'Fire Power'. and have planted Erisymun 'Apricot Delight' by the step, which cannot be seen on the photo.

I have a fuchsia Genii and I think Mrs Popple to come, and Fuchsia 'Dollar Princess to plant. I have sown Nasturtium 'Empress of India' to crawl along the front of the border until I can gat some perennials.

23/04/2013 at 17:18
Matty
Nice choice of plants
In for a colourful summer I think there
23/04/2013 at 19:30

Thanks 

Any suggestions about what I can brak up the yellows with - must be perennial now as money is running out

07/06/2013 at 16:05

Hi folks

Have just planted up some more into the border, and weeded it.

Have added Fuchsia Genii and Fuchsia Ricartonii, also 3 achillea - 2 strawberry red and a peachy one. Just, I think need, some ground cover red something, to go along the drain to soften it, There are some Lucifer but seem to be a no show

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24982.jpg?width=274&height=350&mode=max

I have also started on the other side of the path but at the moment nothing seems to be showing up very well

07/06/2013 at 21:42

Looking at the picture, i would have put a white edging,  given the plants already in there a top up of good quality compost to feed the plants. Front gardens normally have poor soil, so a generous amount of topsoil/compost is always welcome and the white edging will also go with the front of the house.

07/06/2013 at 22:13

Yep but this is only  about 3 months old, Soil is topped up, not white though, Goes against my aim(vision) - red/yellow foliage/ blue hints

25/06/2013 at 13:04

Hiya - herre is latest photo of front. The colours are blending well I think, There are some achillea about to flower now.

This is an experiment using my new camera.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/26202.jpg?width=265&height=350&mode=max

25/06/2013 at 15:45

...well it certainly isn't boring now Matty... lots going on there... you mentioned earlier about wanting some ground cover red thing... perhaps you might be interested in one of these in flower now in my garden... it's evergreen, and forms a spreading mat... quite a long flowering season too... and very easy to grow and obtain... Dianthus deltoides... you might already have some, most people seem to... just an idea for you...

also very easy to propagate...

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/26206.jpg?width=273&height=350&mode=max

25/06/2013 at 15:49

..actually I think you wanted something to cover the drainpipe...reading that again, so this won't do for that, but front of border maybe...

25/06/2013 at 16:51

Yes that is the one I am waiting for from my neighbour. It is to cover the drain and not the drain pipe. Hopefully tht will go as the wall plants grow.

It is just the right colour to set off the front. Thanks Salino

25/06/2013 at 16:58

This is the other side of the path. I have not posted before.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/26213.jpg?width=265&height=350&mode=max

It looks a bit empty but again things have only been in a few weeks. There is Stipa gigantea, Papaver, Achillea, Rudbeckia, Lychnis (red) Sedum autumn joy and Carostigma Karl Foerster( a grass). Thee is also a red echinacea but I think it has had it.

25/06/2013 at 20:10

It's looking heaps better.

25/06/2013 at 21:01

Thanks - can't wait for next year to see if it really has worked 

25/06/2013 at 21:43

..very nice.. be even better when the Stipa gets going... I think I can just see it there...

13/07/2013 at 03:44

How about some azaleas? I like this particular bloom. I think it would go well with the greenery.  I think it would be a good idea to create a focal point the area, perhaps a nice bird bath? Just thinking... So far you did very good work and i'm looking forward to the next phase.

41 to 60 of 61 messages