London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
5 messages
12/05/2013 at 12:55

Hi - we have a very exposed small garden with a frequent, strong south west wind. (It blew a secured 10ft trampoline 2 fields away last winter!!). We'd like to plant a new hedge and favour some fruit bushes. My preference would be for blackcurrant, raspberry and, if possible, a smaller sloe. I'm just not sure if they would survive. Should we mix with other hedging? Is there anything we can do to make it stronger?

Thanks

13/05/2013 at 18:18

To fruit well blackcurrant and raspberry need to be regularly pruned so am not sure that you would get much fruit whilst maintaining enough of the plant/canes to create a hedge? But both would probably cope with the winds, I dont know anything about sloe

What about some other native edibles such as elder (flowers and berries can be used), hazel and maybe blackberry- I expect these would all be robust. Rugosa roses are tough and I think you can use the hips although not sure how tasty they really are.

17/05/2013 at 16:20

Thanks - I was wondering about elder too. I don't want to do blackberry as there are so many wild plants nearby already. I fancy hazel though and hadn't thought of that. I think if I put the fruit bushes down the side (it's a sort of U shape) and have more traditional hedging along the front, the fruit should work ok. I think you're right about the pruning so I'll need to work out how to weave into other plants to keep the volume. 

18/05/2013 at 00:16

I wouldn't call a blackthorn a fruit tree in the commonly understood way.  It makes a good stock-proof hedge, but you can grow it as a hedge, or a free-standing tree.  It does of course have nasty spines/thorns.

Blackcurrant and raspberry are not suitable for a hedge.  Raspberry needs pruning to the ground every year and blackcurrant would not grow well in a hedge.

You might be better growing conventional hedge species as a wind-break and growing fruit trees conventionally on the sheltered side.

18/05/2013 at 07:00

You could include bullace in a wild fruit hedge - it would work better than blackcurrant and raspberry and give more usable fruit than sloe  http://www.readsnursery.co.uk/categories/Plums-and-Gages/Bullaces/ 

email image
5 messages