London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
6 messages
26/07/2013 at 15:47

I moved into my a new build a year ago.  The garden is approx 50ft wide and 40ft deep. N/NW facing and heavy clay soil with a slight slope downwards away from the house on the bottom right hand side.

The developers laid turf and I instructed them to leave a 1m wide border along both sides and the bottom (a hasty decision, mainly to make mowing easier). 

I have since planted 3 small trees along the bottom boundry (Hawthorn/Plum Cherry/Crab Apple) and planted a mixture of shrubs and perennials in the borders, although large gaps remain.  Mainly because I can't decide what to put there!

However, I think we need to chage the shape of the borders to make it more visually interesting and/or add some sort of feature to give the garden some height.  I also don't know how best to deal with the slope!

I am a keen (fair weather) gardener and like a fairly traditional look with maybe a slightly contemporary edge.  My other half is fairly competent with DIY but we don't have a big budget.

26/07/2013 at 15:57

I'm no garden designer.  I like your choice of trees though

26/07/2013 at 16:11

Thanks!  We were guided by Barcham Trees (who I can highly recommend) and they have been a joy to see develop over the last year.  Each tree has something interesting going on at any one time.  The Malus "Evereste" had the most incredible blossom in the spring!

26/07/2013 at 19:34

I would make the borders curved because I think curves are more interesting than straight lines. By playing about with shapes on a piece of paper you will find that some curvey lines make the garden look longer [ if you want that ] If the garden is fenced it is easy to add height with climbers. Alternatively you could put up tripods in the borders and grow climbers up them.

Have you thought about a small pond?

The choice of trees as nut says are ace

Re the slope you could make a terraced bed or just ignore it.

26/07/2013 at 20:23

I think putting in some curves would be good, as punkdoc says, and bringing a bed out into the lawn, perhaps as you get near one of the corners, to encercle an area where you could either gravel or pave it and use it for a seating area. Build an arch or a pergola to give shade and height and grow some climbing plants over it. You could have a water feature or pond as well. How slopey is the slope? Could it be used for a waterfall to go into a pond, or is that too ambitious? Have you planted any bulbs?

17/08/2013 at 19:03

Oh for heaven's sake - SPAM REPORTED!!!

Elegance and grandeur indeed 

email image
6 messages