London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
5 messages
28/09/2013 at 16:47

Hello all - first post on this site, so here goes - I've got a small terraced house with accompanying garden (quite long and thin, probably 5m wide by 20m deep) and am thinking it woud be nice to raise the back garden by six inches to add a bit of a difference up from the patio. Any good thoughts on how to do this? Particularly:

1) Would I need to buy some kind of sheeting to protect the wooden boundary fence from rot? As presumably piling soil up against it, is not a terriby good idea...

2) Where's the best place to get the soil from to do it? And how much would I need?

3) Any potential pitfalls?

Thanks!

28/09/2013 at 17:02

Hi Martin and Welcome

By my calculations (not always reliable I concede) you need about 7 tons of screened topsoil at between £20 - £40 per ton depending on quality, plus delivery - it'll come in Big Bags and you'll have to barrow it to where you want it.

Yes, you'll need to protect your fence from rotting - the best way would be to refence using concrete gravel boards at the base.

This is going to be a big and quite expensive job - there are other ways to diferentiate the garden from the patio - what about a bricked raised bed?  

You'd have to have some sort of brick edging if you raised the garden anyway.

We're training an espalier pear a bit like a fence between our terrace and the garden.

28/09/2013 at 19:41

Just be very careful that the soil level does not go above your damp proof course on the house, otherwise you will have major damp problems. As Dove says, if you raise it against the fence, then use concrete bottom panels. If you raise the level on your side of the fence, you are responsible in law for making sure there is no nuisance caused to your neighbour. This could be something as simple as excess water draining in their direction and flooding their shed/garage/ favourite plant.

28/09/2013 at 19:53

You could put a couple of raised beds beyond the patio and then revert to the normal level behind that. It would have the advantage of not affecting the fences on either side and being much cheaper than raising the level of the whole garden.

28/09/2013 at 20:07

Hello Martin.   Welcome to the forum

I would not use soil in this way.

Have you thought of usImg plants to offer a perceived increase in garden height?  There are loads of plants providing different effects.  I like using spikes of plants offset with mounds and features.  Right now I have cannas with purple foliage, green and white foliage etc carrying spires 6' or more of red, orange and yellow flowers providing an exotic look.  Grasses .....stipa gigantea, for example, grows to 7' tall with swaying golden oat flowers all summer.......will give you height and movement.  In a narrow lomg garden you could "meander" tall, see through  plants like these from your patio to the bottom  of your garden.  Having tall focal points to emphasize width creates an illusion of a wider garden suggesting additional "gems" emticing you to investigate.  So a meanderimg pathway.   Evergreen mounds on strategic corners, fantastic summer, winter, spring and autumn perennials and other foliage plants will give you a fantastic outlook from your patio.  Spend your money on working with what you have and not on raising your soil level which brings its own problems too.  

email image
5 messages