Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Garden ideas

My garden is a mess I have a patio with tubs everywhere all the bulbs and plants have finished now a lawn full of weeds  small borders  with clay soil with a camelia and roses and a  clematis also a shed and greenhouse which I never use as it gets to hot in there at the bottom of the garden 

I want it landscaped at a reasonable price also artificial grass I cant do it myself anymore 

any advice please I live in portsmouth

• BizzieBBizzieB Posts: 885

Hi Joyce, can't help with recommending landscape gardeners but if you type'  landscaping gardens ' into the search box at the top of this page, then again when the search site comes up there is bound to be other threads with information. Hope this helps, good luck and let us know how you get on image 

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Think BB has it nailed Joyce. What about gardening companies in your own area - there's bound to be residents who use them and they would probably do a basic revamp and tidy up  for over winter and then you could make enquiries about getting your grass changed. I know that it can be very expensive though so don't rush into it - get a few quotes. It's more like laying a carpet so it's not just landscapers that can do it. Simplifying the garden will make it easier - perhaps just a few pots on the patio with things you like - bulbs etc -and a few evergreen shrubs that will carry  through the seasons and that you can manage yourself image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • To lay successful artificial grass it is important to get it 'fitted' properly, with the correct sub base. I chatted to a supplier/fitter at the Hampton Court flower show, and he said that a rough rule of thumb with price would be about ??40 per square metre fitted, including the ground work that has to happen underneath. The 'turf' looked really realistic. You could try check-a-trade for your local landscapers, and don't be afraid to get several quotations for the other work. If the greenhouse is in reasonable condition and you don't want it anymore, you can try selling it either on Gumtree or EBay. I sold ours on EBay, with the purchaser dismantling it himself.
  • Thank you all for your advice which is very comforting as its a lot to pay out at my age 

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Why not contact your local horti school, i bet there are lots of students looking for experience, they wont all be spotty teenagers, lots of people choose gardening as a career later in life image

Good luck with it image
  • Thanks bekki 

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Posts: 8,328

Just one word of warning about artificial turf.  It does indeed look absolutely realistic, if you pay for the good sort properly laid - but it still needs a certain amount of maintenance, because weed seeds germinate in it and fallen leaves can collect on it. 

Good luck with your redesign - I like Bekkie's suggestion for using students.  They're often really enthusiastic, interested and knowledgeable.  image

Since 2019 I've lived in east Clare, in the west of Ireland.
  • Thank you  for the advice  I am still thinking about the cost if i did have it done also I have no side entrance so they will have to come through the house which is putting me off