London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
14 messages
21/03/2014 at 00:22

Hi, it has been a while since I have used the garden lights as I have been trying to save electricity but now I note that there are some great solar powered lights which are good for accent lighting. Even better, I have found some LED garden lights which I can use to light up the trees and pond.

i was thinking of going either green or white lights but not sure which give the best effect. Has anyone tried red? I like the look of these http://www.lightrabbit.co.uk/led-external-spotlight-red-3-x-3-watt-60-beam-angle-stainless-steel.html as they are cheap to run and no bulbs to replace (excuse the pun

cheers,

Mark

21/03/2014 at 06:51

I'm afraid that I don't like coloured lighting in gardens - white or a natural looking yellowish-white light for me every time. 

21/03/2014 at 07:18

Me too, much prefer natural colour lighting be it candles or solar lamps/garland lighting or electrical spot lights. But its personal tastes I suppose. There's a great choice of modern or olde worlde solar lighting in garden centres etc.

21/03/2014 at 07:22
My solar lights dont light up the plants and are just a light and there only use would be to mark out a path or similar. Hopefully there are stronger ones on the market.
21/03/2014 at 09:05

I'm with Dove and Star, I find coloured lighting in gardens a bit vulgar and  , in my humble opinion, usually looks a bit naff.

21/03/2014 at 12:29

My OH agrees with everyone on here, she only likes soft white light in the garden, I on the other hand like it. There's a reason for it though. When we were kids our family used to visit a place called Happy Mount Park, in Morecambe. When you walked through the gardens at night they were always lit up with green light which gave a mysterious feel to everything. So for this nostalgic reason I like green light in the garden hidden amongst the foliage.

My solar lights bought from ebay stopped working after about a month though.

21/03/2014 at 12:44

There's a dog grooming centre on an unlit road which I have to drive through on my way home from work that fairly recently had a make over. They now have green lighting everywhere. I have to say, for a halloween party, or a murder mystery weekend it would be perfect. But otherwise, well its just downright scary to be honest!

I have to say for lighting in gardens I prefer natural soft white but each to their own. I can see what you want Jack so perhaps try Red or Purple?

21/03/2014 at 18:54

Just a reminder that artificial light of any kind at night is a form of pollution and is bad for wildlife.  Sorry if I sound like a damp squib but this is something I feel strongly about and the facts are not as well known as they should be:

http://www.darksky.org/assets/documents/PG2-wildlife-bw.pdf

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=artificial+light+at+night+bad+for+wildlife

21/03/2014 at 19:04

Jack 3 Now Happy Mount Park spent many a night there with the kids had a static caravan on Regent Park for years. Had great holidays there went back a few years ago for the day not the place it used to be bit run down looking i must say.

Lyn
21/03/2014 at 19:05

But very good for the bats, I noticed that the moths are attracted to the lights and the bats swoop in on them.

21/03/2014 at 19:20

I have several solar lights around the garden.....cheapos too and simple but effective.  I like to place them uNder or behind grasses but  near the greenhouse where a single lamp reflects beautifully. I vary the heights too....placed low in the ground to atop bamboo (hidden) canes.  However, I try to disguise them during the daytime.  

Natural light too....don't like coloured or those amber ones. Nice white light 

21/03/2014 at 21:17

Bob, I never knew that. I suppose I always assumed urban wildlife would be accustomed to artificial light.

Andy, I have very fond memories of there. My Grandma and Grandad had a static in nearby Carnforth.

23/03/2014 at 22:38

thanks for the advice.i live in in a city so it is pretty bright anyway and will be going with some warm white lights. They will only be on when entertaining during the summer so hopefully will not upset my wildlife ecosystem.

24/03/2014 at 07:59

Sounds good Mark - have some lovely summer evenings out there 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/40128.jpg?width=271&height=186&mode=max

email image
14 messages