Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Garden path ideas.

Jack 3Jack 3 Posts: 360

My next little garden project will probably be to replace the path.

The path at the moment is a straight line of some sort of concrete with slabs in it cutting through the lawn.

I want to make a slightly curved path, like a slight 's' 

I want something a bit unusual and so far have thought about yellow brick 'there's no place like home'. Or different gravels. Or wood/bark chippings.

I would probably want to edge it too then add the odd nicely scented plant here and there.

I would be interested to hear other peoples ideas for a lovely looking path.

Cheers.

• Jack 3Jack 3 Posts: 360

I don't know if anyone ever looks at pinterest, useful for little projects and stuff, I just typed in garden paths and this came up, nice to look at for inspiration.

https://www.pinterest.com/anneleac/garden-walkways-and-path-ideas/

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

There's a huge selection there. Do you need us?!! I like rectangular paving stones of different sizes, paving and gravel together, brick and crazy paving. Lots more on Google https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=garden+paths&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=yNloU4CRGOmY0AWwrYCoBA&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1188&bih=491

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.

I know Busy-Lizzie, once I posted then I saw all those, but I still like to hear what different things people like. Thanks I'll have a look through those now.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

I hope you find something you like, within budget.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.

Yes, I get all these wild ideas, then budget brings me down to earth image

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

Hi ,we did one at the old house ,an old fashion house brick one on sand with the edging  bricks angled end up at about 45% very cottagey  and rustic after about 3 months it looked like it was there forever and cheap,good luck

Sounds nice Alan, yes I like the sound of a rustic looking path.

I suppose once I dig up the old concrete, I'd be best putting down some sort of material to stop weeds coming through whatever I decide to use.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I believe that the thing about bricks (and indeed any path material) is that they must be frost proof or they won't last long.

Would it be an idea to have really heavy duty 'football field' type grass for your path and softer, finer grass for the lawn; they would be different shades of green and so easy to maintain.

If you go for gravel, even with an edging some of it will creep on to the lawn; it does on mine! So being madly extravagant I would suggest a herringbone design of bricksimage

Thanks for the ideas artjak.

I think I'd like something more defined than the grass, although I see your point on maintenance. 

I was thinking about gravel. At the end of my garden I did an area in plum slate because it reminded me of my grandparents caravan site. I was in a garden centre yesterday which had gravel in the car park which also reminded me of the same place, I like the way it sounds when you walk on it and the way decorative aggregates change colour when it rains. I know what you mean though, about it escaping.

I'm not into patterns made with brick though, maybe if I had more room for different paths.

• hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

A gravel path has a lot going for it - cheap, quick and able to do curves easily. But you do need to put some sturdy edging along it if it is going through grass. Not so important if there are plants running along both edges as the gravel can bleed into the beds.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller