London (change)
Today 12°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 5°C
10 messages
19/07/2013 at 14:58

Hi,

we've just moved into our house & are doing the garden.

our garden is over looked by 2 storey flats & we currently have large trees blocking the view. I'm looking for an alternative as they'll need to be trimmed every 6 monthS

The trees are around 12ft high. We currently have a wall that's around 6 ft tall, so we could secure it to there.

I'd appreciate any ideas.

thanks Sian

19/07/2013 at 15:23

I'm not sure if I'm following you correctly Sian, but if you mean you want to replace the trees with something easier but still to be that height I'd suggest you attach trellis or similar to the wall and plant some climbers to cover it. There are lots to choose from depending on the aspect the wall has and what else you have growing round about.

Also, do you want something evergreen to just create a 'green' barrier or do you want flowers, scent etc? If you can give us a little more info and maybe a pic or two if you can, it will help with other suggestions. Type of soil is useful too. 

19/07/2013 at 16:25

Do you know what type of trees you have at the moment? Are you thinking you will have to prune them twice a year because they are too vigorous for the site or for some other reason? Are they evergreen or deciduous? Dense or airy?  Questions questions.

19/07/2013 at 18:57

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/27847.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/27849.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/27848.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

Here are the pictures. I'm not green fingered so I have no idea of what the trees are.

I'm looking for a low maintenance alternative.

the wall is around 5 ft.

the one picture showas the back wall which is taller.

Hope this makes it clearer

thanks Sian x

19/07/2013 at 19:09

The "dreaded" Leylandii screen by the looks of it!  Good idea to get rid of them and replace with something more manageable or you'll be forever cutting the tops off.  They'll also get stronger and stronger so removing them in a few years will be a very expensive and difficult business.

One option may be to go for a non-invasive type of tall bamboo which will have most of the leaves at the top so provide the screening you desire.  Those leaves will still be there over the winter.  If you also mount a trellis on and above the wall, you'll be able to grow climbing plants like clematis to give you some colour in summer.  I'm sure others will also have ideas.

20/07/2013 at 09:52

And what a lovely wall - it's a pity to hide it.  I think I'd put some tall posts in with some trellis sections mounted at the height you need the screening, and grow clematis and honeysuckles up there - then you could have a bed of hardy perennials in front of the wall showing it off nicely 

22/07/2013 at 09:49

Totally agree with Dovefromabove.  How about leaving the leylandi trunks but taking off all growth and use the trunks to grow up climbers, perhaps attaching rope from each trunk to make a continuous run and then you can underplant.  I would love a walled garden - lucky you!!

22/07/2013 at 23:06

Thanks for all the ideas. I'll post some pics of the completed garden. 

sian 

23/07/2013 at 23:24

you do have a nice wall shame not to see more of it.  Leylandii are a pain. It's a tree that takes thousands of a house price.

31/07/2013 at 21:39

Looking at the leyandi i think who ever lived in the house pre you moving in has had the same problem as you have now ie people being able to look into your garden from their windows,

your not going to stop this free viewing and no matter what you grow in place of the leyandi make sure it has cover all through the year otherwise you'll have the neighbours seeing a lot more during the winter when you'll have no leaves on some tree's?

email image
10 messages