London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
3 messages
13/05/2012 at 18:11

Various people have said we should try geothermal heating and husband is keen.  It seems we can have a massive bore hole at even more massive expense or we can dig up an extensive lawn and rearrange some borders so we can put hundreds of meteres of pipe in underneath.  The engineers to whom I have spoken are engineers first and gardeners very much last.  Does anyone know the effect on the shrubs and grass above?  It seems logical to me that the ambient root temperature will drop and that could be problematic where we live - but I may be guessing totally wrongly? How much redesign am I in for????

13/05/2012 at 19:02

Many new builds here are done with low energy and that invloves laying metres and metres of stuff under what will, presumably become lawn.  I guess you need to do some more research about depths involved and makes ure it's confined to lawn space to avoid expensive damage and repirs later on.   Once laid, and the heat exchanger is installed the thing does become virtually cost free apparently and also carbon neutral so you'll save loads on fuel bills over its lifetime.

We'll be doing it when we convert our barn in the next year or so and I am already mulling over design implications once it's done.   No more cutting new borders out of lawn on a whim.

02/07/2012 at 11:16

We have geothermal heating  with  the captor under the lawn, we were told not to plant bushes or trees etc on the surface and not within a couple of meters in the case of trees. the captor is 80cm down.  We have left the surface as lawn  they told us not to cover it with a solid surface such as concrete or tarmac.  There does not appear to be much difference as far as the lawn is concerned. Snow lies a little longer over the captor as the heat has been removed, so would advisenot planting tender subjects.

email image
3 messages