Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Greek inspiration

have finally landscaped and paved our garden, and now I want to fill my massive borders with Mediterranean plants and shrubs. I know I want the silvery greens, blues and whites, but I am a newcomer to horticulture, and with British weather and clay like soil I recognise hibiscus' etc, are not the way forward. I am the proud owner of 2 olive trees, but the are looking very lonely. Has anyone got any ideas/suggestions that will add aesthetic Grecian beauty, colour and fragrance to my north Warwickshire garden please?

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

If you have clay soil you'll have to sort that first.  Plenty of gravel/grit dug in to make it free draining.  Herbs could be a good start.  I'm sure you will get lots of good recommendations soon.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I have an Hibiscus on the strip of land just outside my fence. Years ago I was told the Hibiscus need water more than heat, my one gets watered by me about every 2 years and I live in one of the driest parts of the country. It is poor soil out there with, I think, good drainage. It gets sun from around 2 or 3 pm on. ..and it not only survives, but flourishes.image

• Thank you Lesley k - I will address the soil asap. And herbs would be ideal - I've heard there are many types of oregano, and rosemary would be a lovely addition too.

Thank you too Phillips. Your first paragraph had me in stitches! What can I say, I'm a dreamer!

Definately going to utilise rosemary, and any other shrubby herbs - I will research further. I have never heard of the parasol pine, but will be on the internet looking this up.

I feel I may need to reconsider my geographical inspiration, and widen it to sothern Europe - my partner won't know the difference - he doesn't know his pine nut from his pine tree.

My garden is 40ft by 15ft, with, now, a large patio area. The borders are all 3 ft wide.
  • Thank you artjak - I give it a go. That's reassuring, as I do love them.

And yes Phillipa, small, but adequate for a taverna for 4 in the summer image
  • Sorry just checked with my Partner - I have the measurements wrong. Our garden is 80ft by 15ft - we can now invite friends to our soon-to-be, fingers crossed, taverna/grecian hideaway
  • LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Ah vikki now you can have a goat at the bottom of the garden to supply feta, Grow tomatoes, cucumber and lettuce and with the olives from your trees you have a ready made greek salad.  If I get an invite I'll supply the ouzoimageimage

• Sounds perfect! I'll have to research how one milks a goat thoughimage
  • YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

You definitely need Jasmine

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,340

Oregano! 

I've got a patch beneath my back door to the gdn where it's seeded itself.

Every time I go in/out I get a reminder of walking in the Greek hills and some thyme

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Thank you Pete, I do love the smell of thyme. I have seen several types of oregano - are any harder to maintain than others?

Thank you yviestevie, jasmines are beautiful. May I ask, where are they best planted?