Start a new thread

1 to 12 of 12 replies

Steve the Gardening Vet

I wondered if anyone had had any dealings with planning folk due to wanting to put a greehouse 'within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse' as this limits it to being 2.5m tall at its highest point. Do people basically just tend to ignore the fact that greenhouses tend to be slightly taller than permitted development allows?

We would like to build a brick outbuilding with a wooden greenhouse on a dwarf wall running off one side (on the greenhouse's gable end) as a wooden only structure might find itself with damp feet in severe weather as that part of the garden can end up with a couple of inches of water if the rain is heavy and prolonged. Our desire is for a hipped roof to blend with the greenhouse meaning an overall height of only about 2.75m.

Hope this makes any sense at all, it did in my head before I started to type...


UK greenhouse planning

As a general guide, planning permission will be required if any of the conditions listed below apply:

  1. The greenhouse is located on land at the front of the property.
  2. The height of the greenhouse would exceed 4.0m for a dual pitch roof, 3.0m for any other roof. The height of the greenhouse would exceed 2.5m if located within 2.0m of a boundary.
  3. The height of the eaves would exceed 2.5m.
  4. More than 50% the area of land around the ‘original house’ would be covered by additions or other buildings.
  5. In general if you live in a Conservation Area, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, National Parks or the Broads, planning permission will be required. In these areas the maximum area to be covered by all outbuildings more than 20.0m from the house to be limited to 10msq. Greenhouses in these areas located at the side of the property will require planning permission.
  6. Within the curtilage of listed building a greenhouse will require planning permission and, if built against a listed wall, listed building consent.

It should be noted that other consents may be required such as Party Wall agreements

Building regs and party wall act.


Hi Steve- I'm not sure on the rules and regs regarding greenhouses but the outbuilding might need permission - it depends on the size - I think you don't need permission for anything up to about 3x3 metres but I could be wrong about that.   I think if you get someone out from planning - even if you only have a rough sketch of your plan - it might be the best way forward. They're often more helpful if you 'play nice' ! 

Steve the Gardening Vet

Good news is that the fence it would be close to is actually ours so I think, as expected, I'll be contacting planning. Do I have to actually have a drawn plan to make an enquiry?



You will need Preliminary Planning Permission and every council is different. You may be lucky and they will not charge you but i doubt it.

They will probably ask for details of the proposals, address of the site and a location plan (to scale 1:1250 or 1:2500) and/or sketch, to assist in identifying the site.  The location plan should be outlined in red and any other land owned or in your control should be outlined in blue. They may want photographs include and a site layout plan (scale 1:500) and sketches and/or elevation drawings (to scale 1:100 or 1:50) of the proposed development. Of course this will have to be in TRIPLICATE! 

Ask them first. Every council is different.



Mark 499

I believe all councils offer free pre- application advice, ours actively encourages it

Steve the Gardening Vet

That's what I am hoping, do they normally do that via phone or in person I wonder...?

Mark 499

I believe you can call in to the council office with any details you have & the on duty planning officer will look  your proposal & tell you if you need planning permission

Steve............don't be put off...........the average Planning Officer is usually more than happy to discuss your plans with you and in my experience will be happy to find a compromise.

Give the recent relaxations on Planning laws, they will probably be relieved that you don't want to build another house in your garden

Best of luck

Sign up or log in to post a reply