Start a new thread

Hi

I am thinking about growing some Eryngium, like Blue sea holly. I have a south facing garden and would like to place them in a border. Has anyone else grown these and what were your experinces of the height and width?

I was inspired by seeing them in a florist and they really do look fantastic.

Atilla

Sounds like you have a good spot. I have some in my garden. They easily get over 1-1.5 metres. Add grit to the planting hole and place at the back of the border. Apart from good sun and drainage and cutting them down nowish then they are easy.

punkdoc

As Blairs says but there are some dwarf ones, I think called Blue Hobbit which only grow to about 6 inches.

Thy are vicious plants though so keep away from young fingers. I think they are best behind something else...thymus silver Posie, a lovely silver mound for example.
Depending on variety they usually like good drainage and plenty of sun.
Get a good variety.. A true perennial like Bourgatti not a biennial, it will grow 45 cm and form tight erect steel foliage and flowers from mid summer
Cut down about now
Lyn
Ooo! Punk, is that how tall the blue hobbit should be, i bought 3 plugs last year and they were over 2 feet tall.

Advertisement

Lyn, I've grown them and they were less than. 30 cm tall. Aren't they a cultivated form of the wild eryngium grown on cliff edges, Towans, etc. that grow only 10 cm?
You sure they were blue hobbitt?
Lyn
They were labelled hobbit, thats why i bought them, i put them in the front of the border and they looked a bit silly. Could i dig them up now and move them, Verdun?
I think if they are hobbitt yes you can move them. Eryngiums form tap roots usually and don't like to be moved. However I have and do. Try to get good rootball but decide first where you want them dig that hole and get them in again without much ado.
I take risks moving plants all the time but usually get away with it!
Lyn
Great, thank you Verdun, i will do that tomorrow, they are up about 4inches at the moment.