Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Hello! Just joined...

I want to take up my lawn and turn it into a meadow,  any advice is really welcome! Sorry the pic is really misleading, I'm a newbie to the forum and the aspect ratio is wrong... pic taken from the terrace which is 10 ft high.  The lawn is about 80ft long x 20ft, to the greenhouse on the right and another 40 ft to the veg beds at the bottom.  I've been looking at bulk buying wildflower seed but it's a bit scary!

Sorry uploaded the wrong pic, this is more recent!  I would really appreciate some help!

• Rosie31Rosie31 Posts: 483

I'd agree with Edd - scarify and over-sow.  Also, go for some wildflower plug plants that you can plant direct into the soil - they'll establish faster and self-seed.  Do you have a neighbour with lots of wildflowers?  They might let you take a few.  (For example, in our garden primroses are everywhere, and I'm more than happy for friends to come and dig them up for themselves....there never seems to be any fewer the next year!)

• I'm going to post some more pics later as my garden is a nightmare. The pic above shows the main lawn, but I've got the same again in a L shape, but with a  major incline and a SERIOUS ground elder problem.  Really struggling to keep it up together and work full time!  I've grown wild flowers from seed before, but the crouch grass kills them...  I'll go for scarify as it's soo less painful!  Thanks for the advice!

• LeadFarmerLeadFarmer Posts: 1,496

You have a lovely garden, and a great backdrop. Why not leave a strip of lawn unmown, but add some wildflower plug pants. Or just dig out some boarders for wildflower planting, something like below..

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/thebear843/cb0a0969-62a7-4939-be1c-61f1ab231ee6_zps51a1fbfa.jpg

Looking up the garden from the greenhouse.

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

I suspect you are posting photos of your beautiful garden just to make the rest of us jealous image

• Not at all!  I don't really do forums but I've been looking at this one for ages and the advice is great!  My garden may look good from a distance, but up close it's pretty bad,  I've just spent 5 hrs digging up ground elder today....  

• you have beautiful garden

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,697
    Your garden is so beautiful. All you need is an old table and chair and a glass of wine, sit back and enjoy the view. Wild flowers would look gorgeous dotted about the lawn.
  • Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Looks good to me.  I want one.

Why not sow seeds/plant plugs of wild flowers (esp.poppies this year?) in little gaps you create in the lawn?

Ground elder is a pain.  Maybe a candidate for glyphosate?  I'm generally pretty organic but there are limits!