London (change)
Today 19°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
3 messages
30/08/2013 at 18:57

Hi everyone, can anyone please give me some ideas for my garden. I have been living in an old miners cottage with a back yard and a long, narrow front garden for 7 years now and have lost count of the times I have changed the design. I'm now in the process of lifting the lawn but I'm losing confidence after so many failures and lots of money wasted. The garden is approximately 12m long by 3·5m narrowing to 2m furthest away from the house. It is east facing and does get hit by the cold winds. I also have 2 dogs who don't take into account all of my hard work. Maybe I'm asking the impossible?

30/08/2013 at 19:06

Maybe, you could tell us what has worked and what definitely hasn't - I am assuming as the lawn is going that it has been a problem. Secondly, what do you want from your garden - somewhere to sit: somewhere for the dogs to pee: vegetables:What surrounds your garden (if anything) to help stop the strong winds etc; are you in a detached property; semi etc. A couple of picture would also help. Sorry, lots of questions but you will egt a better response/outcome from other forum users 

31/08/2013 at 10:32

Perhaps you could try a gravel garden and create island beds in it. My late mother in law changed her back garden (a large corner plot) and front garden into this. She has alot of plants like grasses, sedums, sea holly, poppies, aquilegias and low growing plants in the front, but where she had larger plants like pyracantha, buddleia, sumach, tall grasses etc. she left them in which acted as a windbreak in different areas of the garden. She has a cottage/gravel cross garden. I suppose what I'm saying is give it a go, you can't go wrong.

email image
3 messages