London (change)
Today 19°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
5 messages
06/07/2013 at 23:09

hello, i have lots of perennials in my garden and would like to make more for free. the problem is i don't know how to do this.

can anyone suggest a good book that gives simple advice for beginners with photographs as i'm not an expert & sometimes don't understand the technical jargon used. i've heard people talk about how easy it is to do this but i can't even get my Xmas cactus to root from cuttings.

thanks for any suggestions

shaz

06/07/2013 at 23:24

Hi, Shazza,

Aura Garden Guides have one called 'Propagation' by Siegfried Stein. It gives practical advise on propagating and sowing your own seeds. Lots of pictures and it covers cuttings, sowing methods, layering, division and grafting. Reasonable price too, possibly 3 or 4 £'s.

06/07/2013 at 23:24

www.finegardening.com has a very useful video about how to go about this. It's American but the method and the "technical jargon" are the same as in this country. Good luck!

07/07/2013 at 06:29

Help is also actually quite close at hand, if you click on "How to" at the top of this page, you will find info on how to take cuttings! Another possibility is Youtube. Enter "taking cuttings" and you will find dozens of tutorial films!

08/07/2013 at 09:11

thanks for all the replies, not sure about Youtube as want the book to have in greenhouse when taking the cuttings, could have a quick look though.

will see if i can buy the book as well

cheers

shaz

email image
5 messages