Start a new thread

1 to 12 of 12 replies

Cake dude
Hi everyone i have been a complete idiot and bought 2 tonne of building sand to make concrete to lay my patio instead of Sharpe sand. I have moved it 200 ft up the garden so cant take it back! questions 1. Can i use it to make concrete? 2. If not what can i do? thanks
Fairygirl

I may be wrong here cd, but I'm sure I used standard building sand for all my concreting. I don't think it matters - the sand part of concrete is just a finer grade of the gravel you'll also use in the mix, and sharp sand is just grittier than building sand.

Perhaps you could phone  a builders merchant to ask them, if you're worried about using it 

You can use it, it will be a bit softer than a sharp sand mix, so don't add quite so much water when mixed, leave it a bit stiff, or your slabs will sink.

Cake dude
Ok fantastic thanks guys
Cake dude
Oh and my mix was going to be 5 sand and 1 cement...i dont have gravel yo put in it. Is that mix ok?

Advertisement

Fairygirl

Is it concrete you're making or just mortar? If it's to lay paving it's only mortar you need. From memory, I think 1 part cement to about 3 or 4 is the usual for a mortar mix. Dave will know better than me though  

BobTheGardener

As Fairygirl and Dave said, it'll be fine.  What sort of patio are you laying (eg slabs/paviours or a plain sheet of concrete)?  If the latter, you will need to add some gravel or similar to give it more structural strength, but if bedding slabs onto a hardcore bed, you can just mix a mortar.

Cake dude
Great in laying natural stone paving slabs and i will do a 4 to 1 mix with no gravel. Its going on mot type 1 sub base
Fairygirl

Hope it goes well cd 

Must be a big patio - that's a lot of sand! 

Cake dude
Yep its 20 sq meters and i have another 10sq meters to do after this

Your mix is 3 to 1, if you put too much of either in it won't be workable and you'll get cracking and an unstable base. Just add a little less water to the mix, you don't want it sloppy.

Cake dude
Ok thanks for the tip i will go 3 to 1