London (change)
Today 13°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 7°C
6 messages
24/02/2012 at 09:21

I'd be really pleased to have suggestions from your combined brains for one of the borders in my garden - on a slope, overhung by a large hawthorn (a lovely tree), and facing south and consequently has poor soil.  i have a rosa rugosa that does moderately well, foxgloves seem to like it, but much of what i put in fails to thrive.  Can you help?

09/03/2012 at 21:21

Suggest you put four inches of compost on the soil to enrich the nutrient value.

ANNUALS

Wax Begonia

Coleus

Heliotrope

Impatiens

Lobelia

Myosotis

Nicotiana

Tuberous begonia 

PERENNIALS
Acorus                         Hosta
Alliums                         Iberis 
Anemone                     Iris
Aquilegia                     Ligularia
Astilbe                          Lunaria
Begonia                       Lysichiton
Brunnera                      Mertensia
Caladium                      Monarda
Cypripedium                 Polemonium
Dicentra                        Polygonatum
Digitalis                         Primula
Gentiana                       Sanguinaria
Geranium                      Sedum
Helleborus                    Thalictrum
Hemerocallis                Tradescantia
Hepatica                       Trillium
Heuchera                      Trollius

<h2> </h2>

SHRUBS

Azaleas Buxus --

Boxwood Calycanthus --

Hydrangea Ilex crenata -- 

Kerria japonica -- Japanese Kerria Leucothoe Mahonia -- Oregon Grape Holly Pieris japonica -- Lily of the Valley Shrub Rhododendron Snowberry Viburnum rhytidophyllum

<h2> </h2>
09/03/2012 at 22:38

hi have you tried geraniums they spred an give lovley flowers they keep weeds away to plus they will come back next season even better hope this helps.

18/03/2012 at 18:15

If the soil is poor why not try some wild flower plants such as you would find in the wild flower meadows. Try an annual seed mix for quick results this year and add plug plant perennials that should flower in their second year. These might mix well with the Foxgloves that you already have. Good Luck

18/03/2012 at 19:04

I have a wall in my garden, no sun and always damp soil. Can anyone please tell me the best flowering plants  I can get that will thrive there. Many thanks

23/03/2012 at 02:23

yeah, the weather is not good now, i also waiting for the spring coming 

email image
6 messages