London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
4 messages
31/05/2013 at 20:25

Hi eveyone

Looking for some advice on what I could put her to fill the gap.

It is east facing, gets the sun until late afternoon, soil full of clay and does not drain too well.

I am looking for something that will flower but still look good in the autumn and winter.

Thanks

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24481.jpg?width=217&height=350&mode=max

07/06/2013 at 09:21

What about the perennial wallflower Bowles Mauve. I've grew it for years and have recently added it back into my garden. It will bloom even in winter if we don't get another awful one and the purple flowers stand out really well against the silver green blue leaves.

07/06/2013 at 11:36

lonicera winter beauty...a shrubby honeysuckle with intense fragrance in late winter and is evergreen.

hydrangea...if soil is acid get good blue, if alkaline get a good red. 

08/06/2013 at 05:58

Choisya maybe? Easy evergreen shrub (or ever-gold, depending on variety) known as mexican orange blossom for its lovely white fragrant flowers. Likes clay. Plant some hardy geraniums or daylilies (hemerocallis) around it/in front of it until it gets bigger. I'd avoid the skinny-leved ones as they tend to be much slower and foliage can suffer a bit in full sun. The larger lobed-leaved ones are tough as old boots but really lovely. Bx

email image
4 messages