London (change)
Today 20°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 14°C
1 to 20 of 24 messages
20/06/2013 at 23:18

I have been planning a herbal lawn to replace the traditional grass lawn on my lotty.

I recently saw a television article about a new project down London way, Islington or some place like that. It showed a beautiful patch of lawn/garden that had a stunning display of herbs, flowers and grasses. I knew I HAD to have this project ! So, I am planning for next year, to establish a radical change in growing some open sited plants. I intend to put golden marjoram in patches, thyme to complement the green and yellows, camomile mxed with colver and other lucerne based colvers, pennyroyal and oregano, plus any other suitable plant that will be providing both ground cover and wildlife areas.

I shall be sending in reports of the progress as it happens, with photographs . Is there anybody else out there who has the same idea ?

21/06/2013 at 08:21

bump

21/06/2013 at 08:53

Fine. Thanks for that !! I shall mull over, cogitate and consider that 'bump', but any thoughts of an organic bowling green will not be included!   unless one bowls white heart cabbages !

22/06/2013 at 00:50

I have no actual suggestions, as I'm very much a learner at gardening, but it sounds like a fantastic idea.  Have you any idea what programme it was on?  I googled herbal lawn, Islington, in hope but nothing relevant appeared.  I will be really interested in seeing your progress reports though.  What does bump mean when people put it on a thread?  Is it just so they get a reminder when the thread is updated, but don't want to say anything particular?

22/06/2013 at 08:34

Hi.  If 'bump' has a modenistic meaning on the ethereal net, then I am completely at a loss as to what it means. I am steam driven, and to me, the 'bump' means that the way I was going for the herbal lawn, implying simply that it won't be a smooth finish . But, I don't WANT a smooth finish !  Bumpy threads are what my gardening jumper is made from !

22/06/2013 at 08:35

It sounds lovely, I am thinking about not a lawn but a seat and bought two lots of camomile and the best for spreading, in my very technical experiment is Chamaemelum nobile Flore Pleno.

I also do not know what bump means, so thanks Sara for asking.

22/06/2013 at 08:57

I think Dove has fallen over or dropped her laptop . Anyway I'm glad you've started this thread. I've been toying with taking up my flagged patio for some time and was impressed by the no grass lawn that made the news. I'm a passionate gardener but mowing the lawn is akin to ironing in my book. Too many projects this year, but top of my ToDo list next year. Thyme and chamomile will be a start, but will watch your suggestions with interest. 

22/06/2013 at 09:01
22/06/2013 at 09:21

Dove is 'bumping up' some of the threads to push down those kitchen ads.

22/06/2013 at 09:55

Thank you quercus - great research and WOW Peat, we are all going to be throwing our lawnmowers away I think/hope as I also hate it (hoovering on a different surface). I was going to have a meadow round the pond if I ever finish building the thing, but I think a herb lawn running into the main garden would be so much more appealing. Hopefully by the time I'm ready for that element of landscaping your project will be well away and I can shamelessly plagiarise your ideas.  I'm still clearing rubble, so you have a minute or two ...

Thank you for letting me know about bumps nut cutlet - I thought it was some inner circle code.

23/06/2013 at 08:25

Thanks Nut. I saw those kitchen adverts. How do you "bump" them?

Sara, good luck with the project, don't forget to post photos

23/06/2013 at 08:29

Speaking of adverts, I wrote a detailed reply to a question yesterday with photos. Went to click on submit, the Bl***y Stihl advert popped up and deleted my reply! I realise GW have to sell advertising but it shouldn't interfere with what this Forum is for. It's there again now!

23/06/2013 at 08:43

QR just post the word bump - or any word you like (keep it  clean!)- and that thread will come to the top of the page and push the spam ads  down. It was particularly bad the other day- 15or so -  and as Dove is often first on in the morning she does the unpleasant and time consuming job of reporting them. I was on one morning recently and barely a thread on the first page was a gardening one. It's often worse at weekends esp Bank Holidays. If you put a comment on the spam thread it simply keeps it at the top of the page which annoys everyone. 

23/06/2013 at 08:56

Thanks Fairy I'll bear that in mind. Shame about having to keep the word clean though

23/06/2013 at 11:15

I started a camomile lawn last year with 6 tiny plants, alongside a path. I thought it would takes years to look half decent but it's gone mad already, I keep spreading it about and now I'm hoping to use it to edge the whole grass lawn. I love the idea of herbs for the entire lawn, but one step at a time...thanks for the idea. 

29/08/2013 at 22:14

Just taken up 8 old concrete flags from a path that leads to nowhere. Tomorrow, I hope to  ravage and rake the exposed soil and build it upwith  some compost, sand and soil, and then pop in some marjoram , and other herbs to start the lawn off. 

After the drought like conditions of earlier this summer, the lotty has taken off brilliantly with surpluses of lettuce, beans and wotnot. The old folks home nearby has almost turned veggy !

29/08/2013 at 23:43

Peat, I have semi wimped out on the herb lawn - having dug up what seemed like acres of concrete and an enormous hole for the pond, I was left with a huge expanse of earth so I turfed it (very badly, as it happens!) with some surplus turf that someone sold on ebay after over-ordering.  There are enough gaps for me to start some herbs off and I have put a lot of bulbs under the grass, but I think your herb lawn project will be started before mine gets going.  Here are a couple of before and afters with and without the concrete though:

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/30213.jpg?width=288&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/30214.jpg?width=413&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/30215.jpg?width=288&height=350&mode=max

Don't know why the second picture looks all squashed, but hey ho.  Pond liner coming week after next - I delayed it because I'm doing up my kitchen at the same time .....

10/09/2013 at 21:29

Just popped in some marjoram into a space left by one of the concrete flags, As soon as the miissus turns the other way, I'll put in some thyme under the old lilac tree. The bee hive will have to be pacified when I go around it for the feverfew, perhaps.

A neighbour donated some 5 sq metres of surplus lawn turfs. It has enabled me to re-jig the initial set up  and be more 'organic' in the positioning of some things.

13/09/2013 at 14:57

The camomile lawn got out of hand when it was alongside a path through the border so I've now moved it to a patch under the apple tree.

before:

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/30992.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/30993.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

After:

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/30994.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/30995.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

Looks a bit sorry for itself for now! but ever hopeful... 

17/06/2014 at 14:33

Hello Mrs Garden

A friend of mine is looking to have exactly the effect of the herbs between the stepping stones.  could you let me know what you used. thank you.

1 to 20 of 24 messages