London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
21 to 39 of 39 messages
15/09/2013 at 20:40

Maybe a purple Acer.  An apple tree perhaps on a dwarfing rootstock.  Or a small prunus.....prunus cistena crimson dwarf is a compact purple leaved ornamental plum with beautiful pink/white flowers in spring.  Slow growing.  I have 3 half standards and from early spring to autumn are very attractive

16/09/2013 at 04:47

can you post a few links to them Verdun so i can look at them,I was thinking to the right of the shed at the back corner of the bed to take away the gap behind the shed.?

16/09/2013 at 08:31

Coys I have some lovely jasmin cuttings needing a home in the spring!!!! I rescued some from a demolition site ( I have form for plant rescue) was would do great climbing up somewhere if you want some then let me know(pm me) and I will happily send you a cutting.... It's only small ATM but golly they grow... Someone gave me a stick with 3 leaves on it a few years ago and now it is a stunning cascading jasmine that lets off te most amazing scent in the evening... 

16/09/2013 at 08:56

Morning Coys.   For a picture and description see Whispering Trees nursery as well as gardeners world.co.com.  If room plant a yellow choisya Sundance in front or alongside.  This is evergreen, bright yellow, mound forming, aromatic bay leaves and  beautifully scented white flowers in spring and early summer.  Yellow and purple foliage together?  I love that

19/10/2013 at 15:15

Haven't got around to planting here yet and have changed my mind,I'd like it to be more modern with low maintenance but with a bit of colour ,so any more suggetsions on this would be great.

19/10/2013 at 15:20

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/32684.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

Was thinking of starting with a Japanese maple at the front where I'm standing.What do you think.

19/10/2013 at 16:12

Hmmmm!  It would look nice there but do you think maybe a little bit further back? You could make it the focal point of that order.  

The lavender not what you want now?  Still think a row following that curve would look good.

Hesthers are popular agan now.  Low maintenance, both  winter  and summer flowering.  Some of the Carnea types, those flowering during the winter also have glorious yellow and orange coloured foliage.  

19/10/2013 at 20:40

Yeah i do like the lavender idea but do they grow to big?

19/10/2013 at 21:12

I keep mine to about 70 cm and it's about 8 years old.  In the summer, when flowerimg, it adds another 40 cm or so but then it's trimmed back again.  Heathers not to your liking.?   I grow a mumber of heathers imcludimg one called Foxhollow which nas yellow evergreen foliage with new growth of orange??  Catmint is a shorter version of lavender but spreads a bit more.  Did you want something,to,hang over your edges or something to stand proud of them?  

19/10/2013 at 21:13

I keep mine to about 70 cm and it's about 8 years old.  In the summer, when flowerimg, it adds another 40 cm or so but then it's trimmed back again.  Heathers not to your liking.?   I grow a mumber of heathers imcludimg one called Foxhollow whichnah s yellow evergreen foliage with new growth of orange??  Catmint is a shorter version of lavender but spreads a bit more.  Did you want something,to,hang over your edges or something to stand proud of them?  

19/10/2013 at 21:14

Oops!  I've doubled myself...that's painful. 

19/10/2013 at 22:05

Your bed looks really good Coys, full of possiblities.

Don't think I can help on the modern idea.I have lots of curvey beds but my style is more of a cottage garden. I see aubrettia or something similar to hang and soften those bricks

20/10/2013 at 06:41

Not to gone on heathers Verdun not sure why.Really confused as to what to put in, Have been watching all the Alan Titchmarsh,How to be a gardener programmes,and i see something and say, ' oh that looks nice' then the next programme he does something different and that looks nice also.

I definitely want to add some height into the garden but think i'll stick to low things along the front as it's already raised up.Will grow a few climbers along the fence i think.

Plants are expensive over here in Ireland so have been looking online and have found this place www.gardens4you.ie which seem to be based in Holland and go by other names.Has anyone any experience buying of places like this.

20/10/2013 at 08:03

I'd far rather go to small local nurseries - they'll be cheaper than garden centres anyway - at least that way you'll see what you're getting.  Stuff bought online and sent by post may be good, but it may not be - you usually get what you're paying for. 

Once you make up your mind about a few plants that you want, try car boot sales in the spring - and don't ignore those stalls by the side of the road where people sell things they've propagated in their own garden.  

And don't worry about getting it wrong - you can always dig things up again and move them if you don't like them where they are - as long as you don't do it every  five minutes - Verdun's an expert at shuffling plants around.  

And if you've bought something you don't like or don't want, pot it up, look after it and sell it on or swap with friends. 

20/10/2013 at 09:11

Hiya Coys.   Hmm, not sure about gardens 4 you.  Perhill nurseries supply small plamts that will soon bulk up next year.  

Dont be too much in a hurry. Get some idea in your head....maybe go through your options and eliminate those you are unsure about.  We all want something else once we have decided what we want.  Your bed will look nice whatever you plant. Many perennials can be bought and divided now to make an impact next summer.....saving a few pennies.  And maybe go for annuals too next year

28/10/2013 at 13:16

Hi Coys.  I've just joined the forum so just wanted to add one or two suggestions.  Regarding the tree, I would recommend a malus, mine is 'Butterball' and is beautiful, producing masses of fruit for crab apple jelly and still leaving plenty for the birds.  I'd definitely plant some spring bulbs - so easy, but very worthwhile.  This year I've had huge success with Phlox, which I bought as plug plants through a magazine, just paying P&P.  Also, planted Coreopsis seeds, which looked great.  I would definitely follow Carol Klein's advice re planting perennial seeds - .her method really works.  Oh, sorry, I've gone on a bit!  Good luck!

01/07/2014 at 08:12

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/51209.jpg?width=360&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/51210.jpg?width=360&height=350&mode=max

Just an update I took yesterday of my raised bed. A variety of plants in it not sure of the names of most as I didn't keep labels. I'm happy with it and will see how it does this summer and then move a few around if needed once flowered.

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/51203.jpg?width=350

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/51204.jpg?width=350

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/51205.jpg?width=350

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/51206.jpg?width=350

01/07/2014 at 08:48

Nice Coys.  Excellent display.  You are learning faaaaast 

(like the statue on the lawn....)

01/07/2014 at 09:02

Thanks Verdun, I went for the row of lavender but expensive so go small ones and are not growing very fast so hopefully see the benefit of them next year.

Starting the front garden now, just have to tell the wife.

Statue is a crafted masterpiece.

email image
21 to 39 of 39 messages