Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

How to finish the edge of my new rockery

Hello,

Im wondering what people think of my new rockery? Soecifically the edging..... I'm just not sure it's right but cant put my finger on whats wrong! Maybe I just need to give it time to bed in and me to get used to it!  It's a new house we moved into and this is the first but of landscaping to go in..... Any thoughts are most welcome!

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I think it needs a bit more height at some point, maybe merging in to the high point of the pond. See if you can get the strata of the rocks to be all on one plane, not necessarily horizontal.

You could balance it with a bit less height somewhere else, just merge into the surrounds.

Some paving of some sort round it would make it look less of an island and avoid the forthcoming problems with encroachment of grass

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • What sort of paving do you mean?  I was wondering about something like a cobble stone round the edge but I want it to look natural if you know what I mean....

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Rather than edging it with the large rocks I would have used them actually in the rockery and have low growing rockery plants growing in pockets made by grouping the rocks together.  Perhaps edge it with bricks to match the house bricks?

• I like it. I'm planning to do something very similar in my new garden but I intend to finish the edge by digging out about 4 inches of grass and filling the space with shards of slate, you can get it at a garden centre. It should make mowing the grass edge a lot easier.

• Yeah I swithered about slate rather than pebbles, the thing with your idea is that will the grass not eventually grow into the slate edge? 

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

You have obviously worked very hard Craig (I can feel by back aching just by looking).

Larger stones could be higher, in groups, giving more planting pockets as Forester2 said and it may be worth getting some mid-sized cobbles or stones for variety.

Pining for the West (so am I) has quite a good idea with the trench.  The beauty of this forum is that you consider options but then make your own mind up  Only you knows what suitsimage

• Yeah and thanks everybody for the advice so far. I am going to have another look and see what else I can do. I may do as suggested and move the stones from around the edge and use something for the edge. I wonder if I could did a trench and then fill it will cement and pebbles (like Pining for the west suggested they were doing with slate) but as the whole thing is on a slight hill I do need to 'box in' the stones to stop them migrating to the grass!

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Good luck Craig - you have made a cracking start and worked really hard.  Keep us updated with it's development and, as with all gardening, nothing stands still.image

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Just have to keep the grass from encroaching on the trenchimage  It will be great.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 9,012

I think there are 2 elements to the 'problem'.  Firstly the stone used for the edging is not the same as the rocks within the rockery itself.  Secondly the edging stones seem to have been laid on the surface.  I think they would look better partly buried, but better still if you could use matching stone throughout.  The issue of lining up the strata has been mentioned in earlier replies.

The whole thing will take time to settle and planting will eventually soften the lines of the waterfall etc.