London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 15°C
9 messages
10/03/2013 at 20:02

Hello all, I'm wondering can I grow veg such as Runner Beans in the water course of my Koi Pond?

I can easily grow water cress, so I am guessing there is enough nutrients occouring naturally in the water.

\any help apprciatted

10/03/2013 at 20:07

Doesnt sound likely-they will drown-just not that sort of plant.

10/03/2013 at 20:35
Sorry Paul, I don't think it's a goer either. But would be happy to be proved wrong! Think the key's in the name...watercress likes growing in water, and legumes would be happier in a more substantial substrate.
10/03/2013 at 22:25

hi just a thought over the zoo where i am they grow all salad leaves,herbs peas with out any soil at all,birds eye are just investing in it and japan also are interested,the seeds are in water with loads of nutrients,and they go round on a conveya belt.from seed to lettuce 3 weeks amazing

11/03/2013 at 09:33

I'm going to put the cat amongst the pigeons here (or the over nutrified water amongst the fish). Many years ago, someone who was very high up in the world of horticultural expertise told me that hydroponics were very bad for wildlife. After the crop has grown, the gardener then has to get rid of the over nutrified water; it ends up in rivers and water courses, where the nutrients encourage the water plants to grow rapidly, de-oxygenating the water and effectively killing everything. I am not a scientist, so have probably explained this poorly, but the principles appear valid to me.

11/03/2013 at 10:30

Seems pretty clear artjak. I'm not a scientist either but it makes sense to me.

12/03/2013 at 14:39

I think the idea artjak is to remove the nutrients from the Koi pond water 

12/03/2013 at 18:41

Yep DiggerSaen, spot on.  Wouldn't put any form of artifical  nutrients in with my Koi.

If there was a problem with aphids; then I'd just dunk them in the water and leave the fish feast on them

.Runner beans are a very thirsty plant, so if started off in the old Scout style, in a jar with tissue paper to develop their water roots and then potted on into aquatic planter type pots with pea gravel?

12/03/2013 at 22:59

Sounds ok in principle, I'd go for on extreme margin of water tbh, yes beans like water, but not sat in it, their nodules fix atmospheric nitrogen, not waterbourne nitrogen. Certainly on an edge where the pond overflows after rain etc, but in the water probably not. And you'd still need a tonne of manure or organic stuff for them to stick their roots in, not sure that's a substrate I'd want right next to the overflow of my pond.. easier to dig a trench 18inch deep fill it, tramp it, fill it tramp it, fill it tramp it, (with organic stuff) then grow your beans!

email image
9 messages