Start a new thread

1 to 16 of 16 replies

Stacey Docherty

I'm now addicted to this site so going to throw this out here for some ideas.... I have recently had a garden room built at the bottom of my garden which is in woodland. In the autum I will be moving my veg beds and planting it up..... So apart from the obvious foxgloves and ferns I am wondering what to plant. The area does get sun so am tviburnum of some astrantia and maybe anenome..... so ideas other ideas guys? Thanks in advance

nutcutlet

What's the soil like Stacey, dry and rooty? acid or alkaline. and how much sun

Stacey Docherty

The soil is fantastic!!! Great drainage due to it being the old crockery dump for a big house. No idea if its acid or alkaline although I wouldn't say too acidicThat's for the sun it is dappled all day the canopy isn't that heavy ( still manage to grow in the raised veg beds,) it's such a wonderful space 

Stacey Docherty
2 Wheel Gardener wrote (see)

A couple of my favourites Tiarella and Thalictrum.

Will check them out have never heard of them.... Thalictrum is stunning and I do have a thing for plants like that. It's on the list thank you

nutcutlet

Sounds great. 

Aconitum, aquilegia, actea, try other species of digitalis as well as purpurea. D.lutea and ferruginea are good and fit into woodland. Some cyclamen, hederifolium for late summer/autumn and coum for winter. Shrubs such as sarcococca and winter flowering honeysuckle. Arum maculatum for easy or some of the arisaemas for something a bit different. Hellebores, snowdrops and early crocuses. Grasses, pheasant grass and Mr Bowles' Golden grass go well in light shade

Advertisement

Stacey Docherty

Nut cutlet thank you for the fantastic ideas, when looking up the arisaemas and alum maculatum to my delight I already have these growing naturally although they are now at the back of the garden room. Aquilegia is a great idea I picked up some stunning ones for .99p at the last crocus sale!!!!! They are in a pot waiting to be put somewhere!!!!!!!

nutcutlet

I have an endless number of pots of things waiting to be put somewhere. Every year I'm not going to grow all those seeds. But then I see something interesting and I'm off again

Stacey Docherty

Lol nutcutlet it's an addiction!!!! I'm the same 

nutcutlet

is there a cure do you think?

Stacey Docherty

No I think we just have to be brave and admit it and continue to indulge it!!!! Lol doesn't help that I Calander all the crocus open days as they are close to me....

nutcutlet

That's a bit of a temptation Stacey. Nothing like that round here so I'm safe.

I do make an annual trip to West.Acre Gardens though, splendid nursery there.

chicky

Dicentras do well for me in damp, partial shade.  My favourite is the white one - think its called Alba.

I pass crocus on my way to work - am now on first name terms with the receptionist!!!

nutcutlet

Persicariea, various as well. Red Dragon is impressive in leaf.

Stacey Docherty

Red dragon looks great! Chicky it's an addictive place and I love love love their open days better than the Harrods sale!!!! However I spend a lot on mistakes!!!! (Ammi majus this year!!) dicentras are most definitely on the list..... Just can't wait to get started!!!! 

Eddie J

Woodland gardens can be so much more than just plants.

http://imageshack.us/a/img268/2396/dscf9745.JPG

http://imageshack.us/a/img844/3893/dscf9741m.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img811/6743/dscf9738.jpg

Advertisement

Stacey Docherty

Wow Eddie j that looks great the sculptures are amazing. We have just had a garden room built in the wooded part of our garden hence the question. I will post a pic later!