21 to 25 of 25 messages
29/09/2012 at 11:33

christopher what cannas hav you grown this sumer.mine hav not flowered and the leaves hav been lookin very tatty. i just put it down to the poor wether.

29/09/2012 at 18:57

Hollie-hock thank you for your reply, it has given me plenty to think about.

29/09/2012 at 20:08
Keith's lemon. I grow Durban, Pretoria, and a couple the names of which I forget. They need long growing period. Best overwintered under glass either potted or not but potted up in early spring anyway. Then water well, feed and plant out after frost has gone. The tatty leaves are prob snails. The weather has been unkind to cannas....I think they're from south Africa. If you intend to grow in a pot get biggest possible. In the garden they grow huge.....here for me anyway. My variegated green/white yellow flowered one occupies space 6' x 6' and 7' high with dozen or more spikes yet this was split 2 years ago.
29/09/2012 at 20:14
Keith's lemon. I grow Durban, Pretoria and couple names of which I forget. They need long growing season so...overwinter under glass either potted or not. In spring water well, feed and put into,biggest pot you have. They are greedy and vigorous. Pretoria was split 2 years ago but is now 6' x 6' and 7' high with dozen or more yellow spikes of flower. This has green/white foliage. Durban has orange flowers and dazzling red/pink/purple colours in the leaves...spectacular. The most impressive planta are grown in the ground. The tatty leaves are prob snails.
29/09/2012 at 20:17
Sorry Keith's lemon. I thought my post failed...hence I repeated it. If you can provide good warmth, good drainage and feed cannas are worth it.
email image
21 to 25 of 25 messages