London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 15°C
1 to 20 of 25 messages
22/09/2012 at 19:54

Have some empty space and would like a quick splash of colour, but bit stuck for ideas. Pot mums maybe or something similar ?

22/09/2012 at 21:24

Violas have such a long flowering season and you can choose a colour scheme to suit your taste. They are available everywhere. I bought some frilly pansies last year and the scent was gorgeous - I had some in buckets hooked on a trellis arch at the front door. I understand that some think they are gaudy - I used to - but I plant muted colours and they really lift the garden at this time of year.

22/09/2012 at 21:36
Wallflowers and stocks. Best as bare root plants if you can get them
22/09/2012 at 21:43

Christopher-wallflowers for autumn colour??

-I doubt it for spring perhaps?-unless the colour is green of course

23/09/2012 at 09:28

I would recommend Asters eg. Aster Frikartii Monch. Mine has been in flower for over a month and is still going strong but there are many other late summer flowering varieties.Also good are some of the perennial geraniums. I have Geranium Dilys and it is flowering really well still.Hardy Chrysanthemums also good

26/09/2012 at 23:00

Thanks all. I've got some Violas and hardy Chrysanths.

26/09/2012 at 23:22
I have stocks now with buds opening. Green certainly is a colour, not to be derided for that, but wallflowers will give a fresh "green" colour now and promising bud colour early winter followed by full glorious colour later. I have come to realise the folly of planting for a quick fix for week or so only to consider that this same patch of ground then needs colour for later. For me violas produce little autumn or winter colour and chrysanthemums will soon be over. Jen the hen, I agree about frikartii monch. I have it with rudbekias Goldsturn and both have been flowering for ages and will be for another month I think. Heucheras too will add lots of colour
26/09/2012 at 23:52
I like that chris2. Will get those plants for my space asap
27/09/2012 at 06:30

Memo to self - must wear my glasses - I read that as "Will get those plants for my space ship" 

27/09/2012 at 08:43

Oh Christopher- you are funny-I am going to grass over all of my garden now for year round green colour- I will never have to garden again-well just to cut the grass -thanks for the advice

You are priceless-don't ever change-oh and don't stop posting

27/09/2012 at 09:25

:- D :- D Dove, that is hilarious!!

27/09/2012 at 10:45

I  bought some wallflower seeds yesterday, if I sow them today when will they flower?

27/09/2012 at 10:51
Unfortunately, wallflowers should be sown in late spring/ early summer to flower the following spring. But if you have a look round markets etc, you'll probably be able to getvsome bundles of bare rooted plants ( usually much cheaper than module sown garden centre ones) which will flower next spring. If you do buy the bare rooted ones, plant them as soon as possible as they rot if left standing in water, as I've found, to my cost but the compost bin's gain!
27/09/2012 at 13:06

i would definetly recomend chrysanths to any new gardener. they give a great splash of colour at this time of year. easy to propagate and nice and hardy

27/09/2012 at 20:50

I just wanted to add my experience of growing wallflowers from seed. I sowed loads throughout this year including sowing them in late Spring, a lot of these have flowered already or have flowered in the Summer or will flower soon.  Some of them have gone to seed also. This has really surprised me as I honestly thought I was sowing for flowers next Spring So I don't think the hard and fast rules apply with these plants. It will always depend on your locality and the weather conditions.It is probably a bit late to sow seeds now,  to get flowers for next year. Having said that if you have a cold frame or greenhouse and you live in fairly southern location, I would give it go.

I had some lovely bare rooted plants bought this time last year form a local market- and they were very cheap. 10 plants for a £1- bargain

28/09/2012 at 09:36
I picked up some bare rooted ones yesterday, ??1.25 a bunch. MUST plant the out today!
28/09/2012 at 09:51

I always underplant violas with bulbs. if you dead head them they flower prolifically for months and when they get leggy I do a chelsea chop and they recover and flower some more. Although I do move them in spring I can get them to flower all year but usually don't have time in spring/summer to dead head which they need. Cheap and cheerful until my garden matures.

28/09/2012 at 14:04

Figrat thank you for your advice I will save the seeds for next spring. I went to my local nursery yesterday and bought some lovely violas for my containers and they had some wallflowers in pots so I bought those as well, but they said that I would have to wait for flowers.

Hollie-hock did you sow the seeds indoors?

28/09/2012 at 21:54

I've sowed so many of them,but I think I did start some of the cloth of gold this Feb in an incubator (wilkos £3) on my kitchen window sill and then moved them out into my cold frame. Once they had grown a few sets of true leaves I pricked out the growing tips to get them more bushy and then planted them out. They are now really big bushy lush plants, many of them are flowering now. That's why I say no hard and fast rules apply about these plants. I took some seeds off wallflowers that you would call wild/self sown, all I had to do was show them some soil and they were off- most off these if not all have flowered already. I love wallflowers if you haven't guessed so do the bees.

Sowed some viola seed a few months ago, potted them on into small pots and I've got a few pretty flowers already, will pot them onto larger pots, glad to hear that they flower for ages.

29/09/2012 at 09:15
Cannas give loads of colour right now. "instant" autumn colour? You should be able, perhaps, to get them from garden centres. Colour from foliage......green/white variegated, purple, red and pink, etc.,........and the large exotic looking leaves as well as from the flowers has high impact. I have them 7' high right now in the garden and in pots. Split them next spring and you will have more of them flowering from late August onwards. They are tender elsewhere so overwinter under glass or fleece
1 to 20 of 25 messages