London (change)
Today 20°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 14°C
8 messages
21/04/2013 at 20:26
The pond in our new house is sited on a raised bed in a very shaded corner of the garden with a 6ft wall on one side and high bushes and trees on another. I've noticed that plants are struggling the fish are very lethargic and it doesn't seem to attract any wildlife. I've decided to relocate the pond to a more sunny area away from the raised bed. Have you any suggestions of what I can do with the old pond site which is about 2 meters long and 1.5 meters wide?
21/04/2013 at 20:33

Not a pond expert Gary but I do have one.  At this time of the year, fish are just waking up after the cold winter.   I have been feeding them a little every other day for the past week. The pond has sun for half the day.  This helps to keep the water clearer and, sure someone will correct me, keeps the algea at bay.  My plants are just starting to come through again.  Lily needs taking out and cutting down, but I can't do that job. Have to wait for son to do it. Not advisable to have anywhere lots of leaves will shed.

21/04/2013 at 20:37
The fish in my in-laws pond have been active for a month now. They have newts toads, frogspawn and plenty of plants. My pond has none of the above. The plants I carefully put in last year have all disappeared and my fish haven't been seen. It doesn't look a happy site
21/04/2013 at 21:06

Perhaps it depends on the weather conditions.  Has been cold here and the fish have only moved off the bottom in the last week.  Unfortunately, I have found 2 dead frogs and I have no frogspawn this year.  I read somewhere that if you get a couple of days warm weather and it then turns cold again, it causes problems for the frogs. But I'm no expert.

Do you have somewhere local where you could ask what they think.  I have a small shop that deal only in Koi and tropical fish who seem to know everything.  Always picking their brains.

21/04/2013 at 21:26

Gary, could you post a photo or two to give us a clear idea  

22/04/2013 at 00:32
I would if I knew how to attach a picture on this site
22/04/2013 at 05:39

Save the pictures to your pc or laptop.  Then open a post and on the toolbar at the top of your post you'll see an image of a tree - click on it, that will give you the option of seaching your files and finding the photo, then just follow the instructions to upload it.  

Even I can do it 

23/04/2013 at 08:10

I wouldn't write it off just yet Gary. Your shaded pond will be slower to warm up than one in sun - it may be as simple as that. As far as wildlife is concerned, in general, fish and wildlife don't mix. Fish eat all the baby critters. You also may have an access problem with a raised bed pond. Perhaps a pile of logs and stones would help things climb in and out of the bed itself. Pumps and filters, too, are bad news for critters, as they kill the daphnia that many invertebrates and small vertebrates live off. I've managed to get an ecosystem now that manages to support loads of different animals by only having a few sticklebacks and minnows in the pond and no pump. When I cleared the silt a few weeks ago I found dragonfly larvae, two types of baby snails, bloodworms, loads of pond skaters and water boatmen, plus at least 7 or 8 different unidentified larvae type things. Goldfish are a no-no if you want proper wildlife really, though a good sized pond (maybe 2 x 2m) could probably cope with 2 or 3.

If you definitely need to shift the pond, choose somewhere that gets half sun and half shade, either permanently so, or because the sun moves.. Overhanging leaves are not ideal, though you can remove these if unavoidable. Too much sun tends to result in algae and blanketweed. Waterlilies can be useful to shade the water in very sunny spots and have the advantage of not shading out the marginal plants that may appreciate the light.

You could turn the raised bed into a bog garden, simply by puncturing the liner in a few places and filling with soil. Or, if you intend to reuse the liner, put some bin bags in the bottom to slow drainage. In a shady spot like that, you'll have a lot more choice of plants if you keep it slightly moist. Dry shade is a notoriously difficult planting habitat. A raised bed might be ideal for things like hostas as you can apply slug and snail killer easily, or even grit the surface to deter them, without it all disappearing into an open border like it does.

Bx

email image
8 messages