1 to 20 of 25 messages
05/10/2013 at 15:09

Made myself a little area in my front garden and looking for planting idea's please,not a massive area but want to brighten the front up with a mix of shrub and perennials.It's in the shade for most of the day but gets a few hours of light late afternoon.I've dug out a lot of crap soil and added some good topsoil and multi purpose compost.

05/10/2013 at 15:14

My front garden sounds a bit like yours, north facing. In it I have hosta's, dwarf conifers and geraniums, also an azalea where the most sun is caught. I also have bark chip to keep the weeds down.

05/10/2013 at 19:04

Foxgloves, astilbes, helleborus, ferns and Japanese anemone like the shade also clematis   

05/10/2013 at 19:45

Yeah was thinking of growing a clematis between the door and window but not sure which one and how? Foxgloves i like the sound of,would you sow them at the front or the back?

05/10/2013 at 20:21

Coys Foxgloves I think will take two years to flower so i would buy them from the GC just think about the wind with tall plants at the front I have planted so comfrey in a big pot at the front and its getting kick around by the wind.

I didnt think the wind was that bad at the front of my home but it is 

James

05/10/2013 at 20:24

Have a look on the web for plants for shade. You could grow a clematis up an obelix. 

05/10/2013 at 20:26

As i thought "quote from the telegraph by carol 

Digitalis purpurea is a biennial, seeding freely when happy. Since it does not produce flowers (nor, therefore, seeds) until its second year, you must plant them two years running to have foxgloves every summer

James

06/10/2013 at 08:16

Thanks all for your advice

06/10/2013 at 08:34

I've had many north or north west facing gardens. In addition to the ones lily mentioned, Solomon's Seal, Polemonium (Jacob's Ladder), Potentilla, Aquilegia, Vinca, Heuchera, Tiarella and Pachysandra all grow in shade. Depending on soil (neutral /acidic) you can have Azaleas, Rhododendrons, Pieris and Camellias. Foliage shrubs like Euonymous grow virtually anywhere adn Mahonias are great in shade. 

06/10/2013 at 09:05

Coys, clemaris Nellie moser would do well there. Lovely large flowers.  But, dig in plenty of goodness.

Look at brunnera hadspen cream ...variegated foliage and forget me not blue flowers in spring.  And geranium Margaret Wilson.

There was a thread recently where we suggested plants for dry shade

06/10/2013 at 12:25

Thanks Verdun,what would that clematis look like when not flowering does it look a mess and would it be easy to manage?

06/10/2013 at 15:05

Hiya Coys.

Well, I have had nelly moser flowering from spring to summer but I think the best and easiest way is to cut the plant fairly hard back in late winter.  Tie in the main stems to trellis, wires etc.  no, I don't think it will look "messy" and is quite easy to manage.

06/10/2013 at 15:27

Thanks Verdun

07/10/2013 at 09:43

I have a clematis with a nice purple flower sorry lost the label but I cut it to within 5" of the soil every year so far and it comes back every year better and stronger also if you prune it after its first set of flowers it will have a second showing of flowers later in the summer

Just be sure to support it and it will cover around 6' high and about 5' across mine never looks messy as it's always got new growth and new foliage

James

13/10/2013 at 18:58

Got my nelly moser today and a couple of hostas,dug in some grit and manure.Also planted some bulbs.Will pick up a few more plants over the weeks when money allows.

13/10/2013 at 20:24

Great start Coys! Gets very addictive doesn't it?  It's a good time to get shrubs too because the GCs are making way for other things and there are good bargains to be found. 

13/10/2013 at 20:53

Coys, did I suggest hellebores?  My favourite spring flowers.  Dont get them now if you want one or two but wait until the spring and you can see the quality and colour of the flower. If you want nice evergreen foliage, exciting colourful fat buds emerging in late winter and then fantastic flowers for weeks on end check out hellebores, ESP fhe orientallis type. Many of us here have become addicts and there is no cure  Lol

13/10/2013 at 21:30

Ha Ha forgot ,i picked up 2 hellebores niger christmas rose

13/10/2013 at 23:28

Slightly different beast  Coys.  Could I suggest you grow them in pots?  Then top dress with grit or gravel.  It protects the white flowers from being splashed by wet soil when it rains. The Lenten rose, helleborus orientals, is the beauty of the group and you will see them in the GC in spring. Go early to pick the best colours 

14/10/2013 at 09:45

Thanks Verdun

1 to 20 of 25 messages