1 to 20 of 24 messages
26/07/2014 at 23:56

Dear all, please see pic of my neighbours BIG shed

not the best view for me

Any ideas please? please NOT plants, more what I can grow plants up, the shed is right on their fence boundary so can not attach anything to it, will have to be just in front if you get what I mean?

any ideas will be much appreciated thank you

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/53933.jpg?width=512&height=350&mode=max

27/07/2014 at 00:06

Stone the crows, did they get planning permission for that?

27/07/2014 at 00:13

Did they tell you they were going to build that and where it would be? If not, you should complain to the local council , saying they did not consult you and that it is blocking out the light to your garden. My previous neighbours did the same to me, after I'd helped put them a new fence up! She said the conservatory would only be 6-7 feet out from the back door, it's 15 feet ( half the length of the garden!), and about 8 ' tall. She's since moved and the new neighbour is so nice I best just leave it, That shed is an abomination! Far too big. The council may want a fee to proceed. It might be worth it if they are forced to take it down.

27/07/2014 at 07:35

Crumbs - that looks like a house not a shed.  I suppose you could ram posts at intervals into the ground with rope swags in between to grow climbers along.  Neighbours can be so thoughtless at times. 

27/07/2014 at 08:29

Morning all, thank you for your replies and in answer no they didn't say just how big and we didnt realise till the sides went up. I don't think they needed planning permission as appears higher as we live on a hill and their garden is higher than ours. They are lovely neighbours so don't want to fall out over it. I just want to cover best I can. Forester 2, I was thinking to put posts in as you say and like the idea of rope as don't really want yet another solid screen type as prob would look even worse. It gets some sun during the day but not a lot so don't know if a rampant rose would work on the rope? 

27/07/2014 at 08:55

Hi Beaus Mum - If you can watch the last Beechgrove gardening programme you can see what they did with posts and rope to distract the eye from an unsightly cut leylandii hedge.  It's on BBC2 on Sunday mornings which you can watch on iPlayer.  I think they were talking about the Rambling Rector rose which is well known for growing quickly and rampantly plus other things.  I will watch it later today to see what else they were planning to grow along it.     

27/07/2014 at 09:03

Hi Beaus Mum

How sad that they had to put windows overlooking your garden. I think I would have put them in the roof if it was mine.

I saw this when you put pics up of how you had designed the length of your garden and assumed it was a barn or storehouse of yours

Would it be possible to put an arbor there, leaving an access path around the back? You could perhaps grow shady clematis up it or plant more shade tolerant shrubs around it to make a secluded island...

27/07/2014 at 09:12

When we moved into our house our neighbours had a similar (stone) shed already in place. We didn't like the windows overlooking us so we "allowed" ivy to grow over them until it was completely covered. Then the wrens moved in and built nests in it and the shed windows became a viewing hide.

Rambling Rector is very very big (it will grow shoots 10 metres long in a few months) but is extremely thorny. I'd choose something a little more trainable such as Mme Alfred Carriere.

KEF
27/07/2014 at 09:22

Beaus Mum sorry I don't have answer for you, but do have a question. How do the neighbours think they are going to "paint" their  Summer house  if they have put it right on the boundry line?  By standing in your garden to do ?

27/07/2014 at 09:39

Thanks again for your replies. Will def watch the beech grove garden programme. A friend had already warned me about the rambling rectorso will look up the mme Alfred carriere thank you. Would def like to  cover in ivy but would take too long and if I brought a massive ivy, look a bit too obvious? Victoria there are windows on the front of it too and they can not open the ones facing me as they have too much junk piled up! It could be worse as think they intended painting it red! Luckily they are very slow as in years to complete projects  

You can not really tell from pic and to put all in the picture the neighbours shed is at the very end of the garden and at the end of mine I have small shed which I am hoping to replace with a summer house/ garden den so maybe Victoria I could incorporate an arbour or verandah which would come out just as far but would never be able to completely cover but would def take eye off theirs hmmmmm just need money for the project and time 

27/07/2014 at 09:43

Thank goodness kef they are as just mentioned slow going on projectS and were gonna paint red! Of course as I'm a soft touch and could never refuse they would paint from my side and knowing me I would have helped them! But since the arrival of our Beau think the hubby too scared of him to suggest coming in  He isn't a dog lover! Thank goodness! 

27/07/2014 at 09:43

Ivy or Virginia creeper for me Beaus mum, unless that would cause problems with neighbors, then maybe a wire trellis with something like old mans beard or a Montana on.

27/07/2014 at 10:02

KEF, we once had some atrocious neighbours - the kind that know all their rights but conveniently forget about their responsibilities - and I found out then that neighbours have a right to enter your property in order to maintain theirs.  Looking at the state of that felt roof, they will be having a few "wet patches" in the coming months that will need attention.

Ivy - don't let anyone tell you that ivy is a slow grower. Once it gets the message that it's free to roam it just takes off.

27/07/2014 at 10:07

Unfortunately there is no 'right to light' in a garden so complaining to the local council on that basis would be pointless.  There may be an issue with planning depending on the size but if our local council is anything to go by they do nothing to enforce a planning decision anyway.  The neighbour of a work colleague built a 'conservatory' on his garage roof which overlooked my colleague's house and garden.  The council ordered him to take the conservatory down and he appealed.  They then said it could stay if all the glass facing other properties was replaced with obscured glass.  He simply ignored the ruling.  When my colleague approached the council to get them to enforce their ruling they said they had done all the could!

27/07/2014 at 11:01

If it's within a certain set of measurements, you don't need planning permission, and KT53 is right - the 'right to light' thing doesn't exist - urban myth. I think a structure of your own of some kind - an arbour with a seat, or just some simple trellis/screening on posts with climbers, would be your best bet. Painted a soft colour, it will help the offending, darker shed recede. I had a similar issue here as part of the neighbouring garage wall forms some of the boundary of my garden where the fence stops. I attached horizontal battens - to the fence at one side, and a post at the other - and put vertical planks on to match the rest of the fence. It's about a foot away from the garage and I have a small raised bed there and climbers on it. 

The Beechgrove rope thingy was in a community garden ( can't remember where) not the one the programme is from. You'll get it on  i-player I expect, if you don't have tv on demand to catch up. 

KEF
27/07/2014 at 12:05

Deviating a bit but what happens in terms of right to enter to maintain, if both parties put things on the boundry line, one requiring no maintenence and the other neighbour couldn't get to do theirs ?

27/07/2014 at 12:20

Not sure KEF. In my case, if my neighbour ever needed to do anything to the bit of garage wall my fence is in front of....  but she'd have needed access to my property anyway, even without the fence being there. Garage isn't painted, and the guttering is clear and accessible.  I made the new fence lower - to match the rear fence rather than the one between us - as it would have caught the gutter. I'd obviously have no issue with anyone coming in to fix guttering if need be - there's no point in being difficult in these kind of situations. I expect someone will know the regs though. 

27/07/2014 at 12:28

KEF, I think that if two "things" were close up against each other on the boundary then they might not need maintenance for a very long time because the weather wouldn't affect them. I remember seeing a lot of tall houses in SE London which only had a foot wide gap between them and wondering the same thing.

27/07/2014 at 13:11

That's not a shed, its a log cabin. My neighbours have one at the bottom of their garden, about four feet from the boundary. We can't see it at all as both of us have plants screening it.

I would get an arbour, one with a latticed back to block out those windows and then you can grow all sorts of climbers over it, clematis, roses, jasmine, honeysuckle.

I wonder what's going to make their home under your neighbours one.

27/07/2014 at 18:27

Thank you everyone for all your ideas and advice, great food for thought and I'll post any progress  I really don't want to upset the neighbours as they are very nice and I know what it can be like to have nasty ones  

And from some of your tales above we arnt so bad off

Garden maiden I think mice are already very much at home as seen one smiling at me  through the wire vent bit!

Thanks again everyone 

1 to 20 of 24 messages