Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

I'm digging a pond by hand...

It isn't very big but whose damned fool idea was this in the first place???

Oh yes, it was mine... *aches*

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

So am I !

Hard work aint it. The hardest bit is getting it level.

Heres mine so far only half done.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• I'm going reasonably small, it is a fibreglass liner for wildlife and I suspect, the odd dog swim...

There is a separate small sump in front of it for a spherical fountain and the idea is that they will look like one body of water.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I painted a mural in Tenby for a hotel more than 30 years ago; they had just had a swimming pool built, a large one. It all had to be dug by hand as there was no way to get machinery in there. All the earth had then to be wheel barrowed through the hotel, out the front and up a plank into a skip. Those guys were heroesimage

Steve, you can do it!image

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

We started off with a pre formed liner, what a nightmare, we ended up buying a rubber liner. Trying to dig the exact contours is a real hard job.

Can you keep us posted with piccys?

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• I shall indeed!

• hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

When I dug my pond (yes, me, a girlie), I made the mistake of digging it from the outside in. By the time I got to the point of digging the middle of it 3 feet deep, I had to throw each spadeful of soil up 3 feet plus another 2 feet up to get into the barrow and the barrow was parked on what was the edge of the pond - a good 4-5ft away laterally! It was hard work but worth it. The pond is about 9 ft by 10ft and 3ft deep with a shelf running all the way round and a sloping beach bit.  The type and shape of my pond goes with my cottage garden but in another life I would like a formal koi pond with proper structures to hold all the filters, pumps etc. out of the way.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • I'll happily accept a girlie to come and keep digging for me! image

There was I, digging a hole...

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

You've got a shovel Steve. 

I thought you were digging it by handimage

In the sticks near Peterborough