London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
10 messages
17/06/2013 at 10:37

Hello,

I am a fairly new to gardening and in the process of renovating my first garden. I had a large area of paving stones which I have pulled up as I am intending to lay a lawn. I have been advised to create some kind of edge to the lawn to make it easier to keep neat. Does anyone have any ideas of attractive ways to do this e.g. Gravel, timber, brick etc.

All  ideas would be most welcome

17/06/2013 at 12:40

A row of pavers around the edge at the same level as the lawn makes it easier to overlap slightly with the mower and saves a lot of time edging.

I wouldn'u use gravel as it will always be catching in the mower.

20/06/2013 at 06:24

I use driveway setts - they're small and light, cheap (less than 30p each), come in various colours, and are easy to lay to an irregular wavy edge. I just dig a shallow channel, slap em in & give a tap with a rubber mallet to make level-ish. Tesco sell a mini spirit level for about a quid that makes this kind of thing easier if ur a perfectionist. If you set them so they sit about 2cm above the lawn's soil level (ie slightly lower than newly-mown grass height) you can mow straight over and get a really neat edge. You do still have to tidy the edge now and again, but only every 5th of 6th mow instead of every time. Major time-saver in my garden. DIY stores keep em, but often worth asking a builder's merchant if they've got any leftovers they'd sell cheap. Match colour to any existing masonry, such as garden walls, driveway or house for a cohesive look. Or choose the brownest ones to 'disappear'. Use them side by side for a wide edge, or end to end for a narrow one.

You can also get green plastic edging that you slide into the soil vertically to provide an 'invisible' edge. I've never used it, maybe someone else here has...

Some people edge with log roll. It's decorative, but actaully makes edging harder imho.

If u do choose driveway setts/pavers, lay the turf 1st and let it settle in for a month. Much easier to choose the pavers' height according to the grass than vice versa. I never even broke out the spade doing my edging btw. It involved sitting on my bum on a cushion, with a just a hand trowel and my little level, and seeing how far round I could get before the vino ran out! 4 or 5 evenings of that and I was done. And my lawn's massive!!! Bx

20/06/2013 at 06:46

Personally I don't think you can beat the normal edge of mud created with an edging iron. 

20/06/2013 at 07:38

bump- sorry 

20/06/2013 at 09:00

I made my own lawn edging years ago out of concrete.  Looks completely natural and will never need replacing.   Hate those plastic, wood, metal and other lawn edgers advertised.  They are flimsy, ineffective and look awful

20/06/2013 at 11:11

Thanks everyone. Auntie Betty thanks especially, I was wondering about laying grass first as that did seem easier. Driveway setts look good too x 

20/06/2013 at 17:37

Or you could lay a length of timber baton sat just below the grass level, letting the grass creep over the top of it. That way you can mow over it and use edging shears against it. Not much use for curved edges though!

20/06/2013 at 18:55

To stop grass infiltrating though you need something contimuous.  The gaps between the sets tend to allow grass to grow through.

23/06/2013 at 06:36

They do, but its a slow process and in a small area doesn't take much effort to pull out the offending bits now and then. That said, if ur a perfectionist Katie, a little bag of mortar (sand and cement mix) poured dry into the gaps will do the job. Its a small enuf amount between each sett that rain/groundwater seepage will moisten it. Then it'll go off as it dries. Part of my sett edging morphs into a little quarter-circle patio bit and I just brushed dry mortar over and then let it set like this. Worked beautifully and still hasn't moved at all 5 years on. Tip #1: get a 1ltr plastic bottle, use a funnel to fill it with the dry mortar, then remove funnel & use the bottle to pour your mortar into the cracks. MUCH easier to get it where u want it. Also, if you get rained off or want to do it in stages, just pop the lid on the bottle and it'll stay dry til next time. Tip #2: either pull up the soil behind the setts' back egdes or put something against them before you pour the mortar, or it'll just flow out the back of the crack! Seems obvious, but then so was my garden hose and that didn't stop me tripping over it and going face-down on my lawn yesterday. Think I may even have aqua-planed just a little bit too - it was VERY wet and I was VERY muddy afterwards. And the pigeons won't make eye-contact this morning...

email image
10 messages