London (change)
Today 16°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
10 messages
01/03/2013 at 12:52

I have a border which is in partial shade and has a few shrubs.  I have got some Michaelmas daisies and rudbekia Goldstrum planted at the moment.  I'm looking for ideas for annuals / perennials which I can plant fulfilling the following criteria :-

About 2 feet high,  summer flowering,  red, blue or white.

Would appreciate some help.

Chris

01/03/2013 at 14:18
Lupin ?
01/03/2013 at 14:21

Good idea,  have tried them but without much success !

Will give it another go ... thanks Bunny !

01/03/2013 at 15:12

hi Chris 7 - how about Cosmos (the white version) - you could grow from seed or buy small plants from the garden centre.  They should flower well into the autumn

01/03/2013 at 15:14

red or white astrantias?

01/03/2013 at 15:15

Tradescantia - likes shade, pretty colours. I am planting some in my own shady border sometime this spring. Then there is polemonium (blue) for deep shade you have tiarella,- heucheras - foliage and flowers. Also astilbe,

01/03/2013 at 15:16

hardy geraniums, dahlias, cornflowers

01/03/2013 at 15:49

What is your soil like? And which direction does your border face?

Some types of Campanula might do and you get different colours. You could try looking on these sites for some ideas and then go to the garden centre with a list... with the rhs site you can put in exactly what you're looking for and also your type of garden - soil, exposure, etc...  and you don't have to join either. Hope this helps.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector

http://www.gardens4you.co.uk/index.php?/Garden-Tips/Plants-for-shade/Shade-loving-plants-and-shrubs

http://www.plantsforshade.co.uk/acatalog/Easy_Summer_Flowering_Shade_Plants.html

02/03/2013 at 12:06

Thankyou all for your help.

I already have campanula which grow well and your suggestions will be a great help.  particularly the links to the RHS website.

Chris

03/03/2013 at 16:59

Red is always tricky in even partial shade. If you've moistish soil, red astilbes and red lobelias (the perennial spire-shaped ones) might do you. And you can get some pretty reddish geums. There are also some varieties of hemerocallis (daylily) that are red. I'd suggest buying any of the above when in bloom, however, as reds can be very variable in exact colour, and you'd want to be sure you picked the 'reddest' ones! Whites and blues are pretty easy for shade, though blue becomes hard to get come July - later-flowering stuff tends to be any colour EXCEPT blue.  Tradescantia, maybe. I'd suggest some white anemones for later in the year (look carefully though - different varieties vary a lot in height, though because the flowers kind of hover well above the foliage this may not bother you), and blue hardy geraniums. Perhaps annual bedding is the way to go to get late blues - bedding lobelia does ok in partial shade and goes well in tall narrow pots to give it a bit more presence. I use this with blue and white muscari bulbs underneath it in the pot for earlier flowers. They're lovely too, but rampant spreaders in the soil, so potted up are ideal and will go year after year. Theres also cerinthe major which grows easily from seed and does fine in partial shade too, so long as it isn't dry. General advice - try for clumps of things that are AT LEAST 2ft across, and use some of your plants more than once in the bed, to give it a unified, less bitty feel.  Bx

email image
10 messages