London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 13°C
5 messages
07/10/2013 at 09:47

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/32212.jpg?width=450&height=350&mode=max

My first question is about the log flooring as seen above.  I can get hold of some nice logs to replicate this effect in my front garden instead of boring paving but i need to know the best and cheapest way to protect the wood from the elements so it will last for many years please?  

my second question is regarding our garden gate, we installed a new gate last year and painted it with one coat stain and varnish, it is currently an oak colour but because we have now installed a nice new white picket fence we want to paint the gate white.  We have white undercoat and dulux gloss weathershield, will i actually need to undercoat or just use the gloss weathershield? Also will surface need to be sanded? The oak finish is actually still pretty perfect so can i just gloss straight on top?

Any help on these problems would be brilliant thanks Chaps!

07/10/2013 at 12:31

I would sand gate, then undercoat then gloss, a couple of coats as it needs to be very weather proof.

Don't forget the underneath bits 

07/10/2013 at 13:45

Yes - the varnish would need a sand before anything's put on top Davie as it needs a 'key' for the next coat to adhere to. As Matty says - a few coats to make sure it's well sealed. 

Re the log paving- if it's south facing it might be ok but it could be very slippy in wet weather. It's the mistake people make with decking - needs to be mainly south facing or it gets slimy. I expect you could treat the wood in the same wasy as any other timeber - ie a stain or preservative of your choice. I used to use a clear deck oil on my deck which allowed the natural colour through. As with any timber - maintenance is the key to keeping it looking good. A scrubbing brush (or broom) and soapy water is very effective at removing build ups of algae and moss.

07/10/2013 at 14:14

Matty and Fairygirl are absolutely right about sanding the varnish. Varnish is far too hard a surface to gloss over - the paint will simply chip. You need to either remove the varnish or at least sand it very well to create a key if you want to do the job properly.

However... there is a cunning alternative to doing it 'properly' called Bullseye 1-2-3 primer. It will adhere to just about anything, and is suitable for exterior work, so will stick to the varnish no problem and then you just gloss over it.  It's a 'cheat' but will save an awful lot of effort. (I am a great fan of low labour solutions)

07/10/2013 at 18:41

Ok thanks all for your very helpful replies, the bullseye primer is something i will look into otherwise i will just sand the gate to get a key, then a coat each of undercoat and gloss to make sure the job is done properly.

I also will look into getting some clear decking oil for the tree slices.

cheers again all!

email image
5 messages