London (change)
Today 20°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 14°C
5 messages
06/08/2013 at 17:17

Afternoon to all,

I am looking to buy a low hedge(no taller than 2ft) to cover 18ft in a straight line.

I have searched the internet high and wide to find how many i will need to plant, how long it will take to establish and grow and also the cost!

Any advice will be welcome of types and what to buy?

Thanks!

06/08/2013 at 18:52

Hi Chris, loads of questions first - evergreen or deciduous, same plant or a mixture, sun or shade, soil type and acidity/alkalinity, do you want a flowering hedge or just foliage.

Here's a good website to start with

http://www.hedgesdirect.co.uk/

06/08/2013 at 20:50

The two that spring to mind are lavender and box but as Paula says it depends on aspect etc so if you can give us that info Chris it narrows down the search! A lot of plants can be used as hedging and just cut at a low height but I'm guessing that's not what you mean.

07/08/2013 at 00:22

Work out whether you want a single, double or treble row.  Ask advice on how far apart as it depends on the species.  At 2 ft high it's not really a hedge, more a row of plants.

11/08/2013 at 07:38

for all year round deviding type hedging your normal "yellow" privit planted 9 inch apart and clipped once its got to the  2 feet high will grow in sun or shade and also acts as a wind break for lower growing plants (if you use this hedge as a border devider ie from lawn to border)

Ive such a hedge near to the crushed slate path leading to an arch and its works well,

its been in now for two years and has settled nice, (all knitted togather and nice & bushy)

its needs are few "but a lot of people never think to feed a hedge and this causes anything such as bulbs planted to near not to suceed as the hedge takes all the near food from the soil"

So give a general pellet feed of the likes of grow more once a year and the hedge will be fine.

I chose the yellow as it mixes in nice with the green of the lawn.

email image
5 messages