London (change)
Today 26°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
20 messages
19/04/2013 at 12:44

I want to plant lavender in the beds either side of my garden seat on the patio.  It will be in front of David Austin climbing roses Wollerton Old Hall which will hopefully be pale apricot/cream in colour (only planted this winter).  Which variety would you recommend for colour and fragrance?  I would like the plants to soften the edges of the patio a bit without becoming too straggly or woody, but I haven't grown lavender before, so would welcome any suggestions.  Thank you!

19/04/2013 at 12:52
I would choose Hidcote
PamLL x
19/04/2013 at 13:06

Good choice Pam. Munstead also good I think from memory.

There's also a white variety Lily but not sure of the variety or if it's as 'flowery' as the usual ones. That's not much help is it ..sorry!

19/04/2013 at 13:08

Sorry I wrote Lily when I meant hct...

19/04/2013 at 13:56

I have blue Hidcote and white Edelwiess lavenders planted alon the top of a retaining wall where they get good drianage and full sun.  They are bothe hardy and flower well each year although the white is slightly longer stemed and flowers later.

Both are pruned right back after flowering is over so are easy to keep compact and tidy though I have to say they look a bit sad after this winter.  No doubt they'll perk up though.  They usually do and are full of bees buzzing in summer and good perfume.

19/04/2013 at 15:26

Lavender and roses - yummy - can we really believe that is going to happen?

19/04/2013 at 15:35

Forgot to add I also put some Munstead lavenders in my ros ebed to help keep off the aphids but they don't cope as well with our winters and I've recently had to remove two more corpses.  Two left but straggly.  i hope they'll be OK after some TLC but will always plant Hidcote in future.

19/04/2013 at 15:53

After visiting Norfolk Lavender and seeing a long row of Imperial Gem in a field, alongside many other varieties,  I would always choose it for a low edging. The colour is so vivid. The fragrance is wonderful too, but I suspect that can be said for all the English lavenders. 

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=1126

19/04/2013 at 16:01

That certainly is a vivid blue but I suspect I need an H5 hardiness rating for my grdaen, even in teh well drained bits.

19/04/2013 at 16:07
Down here Munstead is favourite
19/04/2013 at 16:32

Thanks for the link Gold1locks.  It's helpful to see a photo.  Has any one got a photo of Munstead or Hidcote growing in their garden by any chance?

Should I dig some horticultural grit into the ground before planting?

19/04/2013 at 16:39

We have trouble up here with hardiness of lavenders too as it's cold, wet conditions they hate more than anything. They do like well drained soil so the more grit the better I'd say!

19/04/2013 at 16:57

Bookertoo, why shouldn't it happen?  

19/04/2013 at 17:17

The RHS rates most of the English lavenders at H4 (a couple H3-H4), which means hardy throughout the UK, but not where you live, Obelixx.  maybe Munstead is H4 and a bit! 

I mix grit / sharp sand 50:50 with my lavenders in pots, and give a similar ratio in the planting hole for the rest. I was amazed to find that all my pot grown blue/purple lavenders have survived last winter, despite the -10C we had on quite a few nights (except a silver leaved one called Sawyers  and a pink flowered one - forget the name, though I knew both of these were not as hardy as the rest)

19/04/2013 at 17:22

Hi Goldilocks, My Hidcotes and Edelweiss lavenders regularly come thorugh -20 to -25C but, as I said, they are in a very well drained spot and get whatever winter sun there is.    The Munstead has also been sheltered and well drained but heavier soil with more clay so if I do plant replacements, theer'll be some grit and compost going into the mix.   Lavenders are lovely plants to have and great for beneficial insects.

19/04/2013 at 17:49

I'm new to all this H thing!  I live in Harrogate, North Yorks, so which number H am I?!

19/04/2013 at 18:43

This should be helpful in explaining the RHS H1 to h4 ratings.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/RHS-Publications/Journals/The-Garden/Past-Issues/2011-issues/July/Plant-hardiness-guidance

For a better guide to hardiness in different areas of the UK, this alternative site might answer your question. 

http://www.trebrown.com/hrdzone.html

19/04/2013 at 18:48

Here is the updated RHS hardiness ratings info -

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/Plant-trials-and-awards/pdf/2012_RHS-Hardiness-Rating

Theyv'e been doing a rethink after tha hard winters of 2009 and 2010 and have come up with a system that includes the extremes of Britain's climates, some of which are similar to continental Europe.

19/04/2013 at 18:54
I have tried so many gimmicky lavenders over the years ...from pink n white, red n white, variegated etc including the white flowered ones
Blue is the colour.....cut to,the chase!
Both Munstead and hidcote are perfectly good lavenders..don't,think there's a lot between them
Good drainage...extra grit will do no harm at all....sunshine and good ventilation should mean good plants.
I have a lavender hedge on one side of my veg patch and it's been no trouble for 6 or 7 years, maybe longer. It's cut back hard after flowering in mid to late summer. Admittedly it's mild here but lavender isnt too,difficult. Drainage and sun.
19/04/2013 at 20:17

Hidcote is tough and quite tall, and has been a firm favourite in cottage gardens for years.  Munstead is rather shorter - and  is very easy to grow from seed.  One other that I`m fond of is Twickle Purple .  Some of the french lavenders are pretty too.   If in doubt, why not plant a variety - that would make a lovely feature.

email image
20 messages