London (change)
Today 20°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 16°C
61 to 76 of 76 messages
29/07/2012 at 23:44

Oh I can beat your corn but not theirs!!! LOL Unfortunately no pictures to prove it though!!

This is the first year that I've grown sweetcorn and it's done really well..... Unfortunately I can't stand the stuff!! LOL

I watched a good horror film a few weeks ago set in a house in the middle of a corn field and the scarecrows were coming to life and killing everyone!.... I'll let you know what it was called when I can remember!.....

Thanks Gary for your comments about the blog they are appreciated!.... you must have been bored if you read it all the way through!

Higgy

http://higgysgardenproject.blogspot.co.uk/

30/07/2012 at 00:00

Yeah, it's our first year growing it as well, but like everything else we planted, we were probably too late again with it. We only decided to give this gardening thing a go in May, so nothing has been sown before then.

But, I have learnt so much in these few months, and next year will be better!

30/07/2012 at 00:13

loved watching your wee garden transform just shows you that when you spend time and make an effort it pays off, im new to this gardening thing aswell used to hate it lol! until i fell pregnant with our wee one and now i love growing everything from seed as much as possible i think its a great idea to grow flowers and vegetables equally as it will interest your little one and getting them into the whole growing your own thing lol. our little one loves to help and i think its great to get them into something like this. i see that you mentioned about pallets earlier in your posts have you ever thght about treating them with wood stainer or paint? and securing the bottom and sides with plastic sheeting and puttin several drainage holes through out that way if u plan on growing vegetables or salads etc u can sow them in between the slats and they will be kept neat and tidy also if u secure the pallet correctly with the sheeting and ofcourse with alittle help u can move the pallet to where ever needed in tthe garden and still have fresh crops etc that way u have the choice of choosing something different each time

30/07/2012 at 00:20

Now that is a good idea chellie. Would save me having to chop them up and put them back together in the traditional box shape. Hmm. My mind is going again now! LOL

I'm just updating her website as we speak actually. She has me photo everything and upload it so her friends and some family can see how she is getting on.

If you'd have said to me 5 years ago I'd be a gardening addict, I'd have laughed and laughed. Now I love it!

Although sometimes a 3 year old's help, isn't really that helpful at all! But at least she tries.

30/07/2012 at 00:26

My little one has a miniature pink wheelbarrow and she follows me all around the garden with it (much to the amusement of our neighbours!!) It's great to give her little tasks and she loves helping 'Dad!' It can only be good for them, being out in the fresh air and learning about plants, wildlife etc in my view!?...

Higgy

30/07/2012 at 00:28

lol i love the idea as well, its nice to get others inputs on things i reckon lol. sometimes your mind goes mad with all the ideas tjhat ppl give you lol! aww thats cute clearly excited about your work in progress then.. gardening takes alot of patience which i never used to have but i find it so rewarding seeing everything that we have grown or done its great makes me feel good you should feel proud of what you have acheived so far youve done great x

30/07/2012 at 00:30

i would agree there higgy its great to involve them. was looking at your blog very interesting lol and very nice too  i think people tend to forget about the birds but like you i have various hangin feeders as they do their part as much as the bees etc xx

30/07/2012 at 00:31

Ha ha ha! Jess has her own mini watering cans, but prefers to use a little pop bottle that I pin pricked the lid on as her main one. And she holds it about 1 inch away from anything she waters, and it just jet sprays them to death. I now have to allocate her to 'special' plants to water, aka weeds, before she kills off everything!

30/07/2012 at 23:43

LOL, Yes watering is always a favourite with my daughter but she hasn't got the balance quite right yet and it's either still dry or drowned!! She has now been allocated a small raised bed and a planted bucket which she has planted with anything thats pink!! She can water this to her hearts content now without me coming home from work to find things callapsed under a flood or scorched to death by the sun!!!....

Higgy

30/07/2012 at 23:51

Aaw, would we have them any other way. They'll learn.

10/08/2012 at 18:33

Well me and Jess have had a little fun with recycling today. Been having a sortout in the house, and found an old washing airer, so cut up some wood to make shelves and hey presto! A little germinating station! A mini greenhouse cover round it and it will make a coldframe in the winter. Sort of.

Will probably be on it's side in the morning with one gust of wind! LOL

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/10732.jpg?width=512&height=350&mode=max

10/08/2012 at 21:25

Wow Macgyver, that looks cool! Don't you just love that feeling you get when you make something from scratch?

10/08/2012 at 22:14

Becks, that is brilliant, really like it. very  inventive. Great when you can turn something into something else. Resuing stuff in the garden is great fun.

As you know I am a cold frame fan. I wouldn't be without mine, You can grow loads in them. Out of interest or me just being  plain nosey.......what have you got going in the pots?

I bought some Wilkos plastic sheeting for the coldframe that you saw- I think it was £3.50 for 3 square meters. This might be cheaper than a mini greenhouse cover but this is good time to buy either. Wilkos & B&M will be selling off there gardenening stuff at very low prices anytime soon after this warm weather is over. Bargains

Also like the shoe storage thing

10/08/2012 at 23:23

Thanks Dan! Yeah, great feeling, even if our inventions are a bit weird!! Might attempt to build my own chicken coop and run! LOL

Hollie, I'll be studying the pic of your coldframe as my Dad has had a garage clear out, and says he has more wood for me! See if I can build a proper one.

And the top two shelves are baby strawberry plants, all the square pots are the Hollyhock seeds I sowed couple of weeks ago (3 germinated so far), the big bucket is more strawberry babies, and the brown pots at the bottom are Jessies Cherry and apple seeds. I know they won't come up, but she wanted to plant them, and I couldn't say no!

The shoe organiser is Jessies as well. All her tools used to be strewn all over the lawn, but now she keeps them tidy!

10/08/2012 at 23:51

Garages are a great place to find stuff. There are loads of hidden gems.

Brilliant when seeds germinate,  I'm in my first year of collecting seeds from the garden to sow now or next year.

I don't grow fruit or veg, I'm a flower girl

10/08/2012 at 23:57

Now I'm the opposite. We're fruit and veg in the back, but will be doing the front next year. That will be mainly roses though. Just had some blue and black seeds off ebay.

email image
61 to 76 of 76 messages