20 messages
30/06/2014 at 23:12

Hi Guys,

Total Newbie Here!

I'm looking to change my front garden completely!

Feel free to suggest any ideas you have!

I was thinking about a wall climbing plant but thats about the best i have!

Thanks!

P.S

Attached are photos of a basic plan of the front garden and a google streetview photo!

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/51186.jpg?width=340&height=350&mode=max

Not To Scale ^

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/51187.jpg?width=297&height=211&mode=max

30/06/2014 at 23:26
How about a ton of lavender next to the path? There's a deal on for 40 odd lavender plants for about ??6. Would give you a nice smell!
01/07/2014 at 00:16

That's a nice idea, i don't like the smell at the moment so would definitely make an improvement!

01/07/2014 at 07:10
Would be useful to know which way your garden faces? Lavenders would need full sun

Also what is your soil like?

And you say you want a complete change from what's there now, is it the systole or the specific plants, colours which you don't like?

Sorry for all the QStack but we can then tailor the answer accordingly : )
01/07/2014 at 11:17

Well firstly my Garden Faces North West.

The Soils Fairly Good aswell

I just want to change it something new because i don't really like the plants that much and also i haven't done anything to it since moving in so i would like to impose my own influence on it.

01/07/2014 at 15:58
Hi Joel, as Chrissie said, what sort of things do you like? Minimalistic, romantic, formal?
Are we talking box balls, clipped bay lolly pops or a over the top rose? So many things you can do
I would probably lean towards formal looking at the style of house
01/07/2014 at 16:14
Hi J
You could try a Japanese theme, minimal planting and easy maintenance
You could try a Acer dissectum, some nice architectural stones, fine gravel and some low lying plants for colour
Edd
01/07/2014 at 16:19

Hi joel tiley.

you have just created your own oxymoron!!! lol

joel tiley wrote (see)

so i would like to impose my own influence on it.

Thanks for asking about your own ideas.

What would you like? a country flower garden or veg plot, perhaps a kitchen garden?. All can be done in raised beds and the area you have.

How about a painted gnome garden!!! give us a clue joel tiley, please.

We would love to help.

Edd.

01/07/2014 at 16:30
Sorry if you feel a little erm- harrassed! We get very excited when there is a new garden to be planted!
01/07/2014 at 18:02

I really like that lavender idea. i think i am slowly getting an idea of what i would like to do. 

Take a look at the new plan below!

Feel Free To State Your Thoughts!

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/51270.jpg?width=242&height=350&mode=max

Edd
01/07/2014 at 18:10

Would you like some scents, apart from lavender. Remember this is only 2D at the moment. let your mind go wild. Do you have space under your bay window or is it all the same down to ground level? You might be able to move the pond back under, towards the house under the bay window but your pic do not show this. Is it possible???

Regards. Edd.

PS. Now you are thinking 

01/07/2014 at 18:22

unfortunately there is no space under the bay window. Maybe a different plant to lavender along the top edge of the garden which would compliment the scent of lavender.

Also forgot to mention that the garden receives a few hours of afternoon-evening sunlight.

01/07/2014 at 18:47
Hi Joel

If your house faces north west than lavender isn't going to be happy as they like full sun. Will put my thinking cap on for so etching which is similar but enjoys a shadier aspect : )
01/07/2014 at 19:21

That may be a problem, what about some germander sage, similar to lavender but requires full sun to partial shade!?

01/07/2014 at 19:23

Don't think I should be in this bit- have I somehow flicked somewhere I shouldn't?

01/07/2014 at 19:32

This is not a closed topic or anything like that, feel free to add any ideas!

01/07/2014 at 19:37
You need shade lovers if the aspect is north west, a few hours in the evening is not enough for anything which likes sun. Germander will cope with light shade so may grown but probably not flower very much
01/07/2014 at 19:42
Hi J
If you want a scented climber that will take shade Honeysuckle fits the bill
Edd
01/07/2014 at 19:46

joel tiley wrote (see)

unfortunately there is no space under the bay window. Maybe a different plant to lavender along the top edge of the garden which would compliment the scent of lavender.

Also forgot to mention that the garden receives a few hours of afternoon-evening sunlight.

By this do i take it you want a space for deck chair and a gin & tonic?

14/07/2014 at 15:38

wow thats a really cute house!

email image
20 messages