Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

New hedge advise

Hi

I am looking to plant a hedge: its around 8m long, and I want an eventual height of 2 to 2.5m; certainly no more than 2.5 - the existing one is 3m high 2m wide and the tree surgeon is charging an arm and a leg to remove it. So something lightweight to replace it would be required. I was considering Cotoneaster Franchetii.. just wondered if there was something more colourfull ?

Thanks 

• We also need to know whereabouts you are, the type of soil and situation, and whether you're looking for a formal hedge, a wildlife hedge or something in between image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thanks for your suggestions. I will look at the Escallonia.

I am looking for an easy grow low maintenance hedge which can be see-through, although the thicker the better

I am in Reading and its in fairly full sun.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

If you want more colourful, then what about a mixed hedge of shrubs of different colours, some which flower? My daughter has one. She has Eleagnus, Choisya, Weigela, Kolwitzia, Escallonia, Cotoneaster Lacteus, Forsythia and some others. But her hedge is longer than 8m.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Escallonia sounds good but if you like to keep a tidy bush and trim it regular you won't see many flowers on it, as it flowers on the new growth and cutting it will keep the flowers off

• Before you make your choice ask yourself 2 questions.

1. Do I want thorns, or will they eventually be a problem to those maintaining the hedge. If not, avoid Pyracantha, berbers etc., as lovely as they are.

2. Do you need to leave space all round for maintenance? Leave enough room at the back, when mature.

• Hi

No, I definitely don't want thorns, and its mainly against a wall, so the back should not be a problem

• Escallonia is good and the bees love it, but I agree with the post above that it can

Escallonia is good and the bees love it.  With it being 8m long it may not look too untidy.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

low maintenance isn't really a hedge thing. It's far easier to trim a hedge fairly regularly than to get it back when it's out of control.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Are escallonias a bit tender in very cold winters? Don't know where Paul lives.

Great plant near the sea?