Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

New hedge

I need to start a new hedge from scratch.

I would like it non-prickly and dense enough so that you can't see through it.

Was thinking about willow fedge, but not sure if this will be dense enough for us?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

A fedge is by nature see-through

Is this the sort of thing you're looking for? http://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/hedging/evergreen-hedging/honeysuckle-shrub-lonicera-nitida?ver=3

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• DorcasDorcas Posts: 159

Beech hedge every time

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,032

My son planted an Elaeagnus hedge which is evergreen and has done very well, can't see through it. There are variegated ones too. I have one called Gilt Edge, but not as a hedge.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,032

Tetley's mixed hedge is my favourite sort too, that's what my daughter planted, but to look it's best it needs a to be a good length to get the varieties in and I don't know how much room Nicky Nash has.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Wow! Thank you all so much for the advice. Lots to be thinking about.  The space is about 30 metres long.  Can I get started with the planting straight away?  We cut down the previous hedge because it had been abandoned really and was totally strangled by ivy.

Sorry if my questions are basic, i am a total beginner image

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

If you can still find bare-root hedging plants, buy and plant them asap as the season for those is roughly November to end of February, so virtually over.  Otherwise you will have to buy potted shrubs which will work out considerably more expensive, but potted plants can be planted at any time of the year.  The most important thing is to keep them well watered for the first year, whatever you buy.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.