London (change)
Today 16°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
7 messages
15/10/2012 at 15:06

We have just moved to a new home with just over a 3rd of an acre of land.

It is a blank canvas apart from some very old fruit trees down one side.

I think my husband, who normally is very keen gardener, is a little daunted and doesn't know were to start!

Any advice please

15/10/2012 at 15:15

Leave it well alone for a while, to find out where the sun shines, where the water lies, where the shade is.  Test the soil for its acidity levels, put in a few bulbs to cheer you in the Spring.  Sit down with books, paper, neighbours, library books, the internet and decide over the winter what you really, really want.  Get any hard landscaping you want done in the winter, keep the bulbs weeded and look forward to them. If the area has been gardened before it is even more important to wait a season or two to see what treasures, if any, there are - you don't want to grub out the one plant you have wanted for years and never knew was there.  Addd a few tulip bulbs to the patch you've already done.  You don't have to do it all at once, much more fun and pleasure to be got by doing things slowly by slowly, hopefully you have a long time there to get it as you want it - in time.  Meantime, enjoy the planning, look at gardens in the area and see what they have doing well - still possible at this time of year.  Don't panic, it will still be there next Spring.  Do not rotovate, it spreads weeds over a huge area - lost an allotment like that!!

15/10/2012 at 15:43

Don't attempt too much in one go. Design and dig in areas rather than whole plot

15/10/2012 at 16:19

The secret to the good design of a large space is to break it into a series of rooms. You can then theme these rooms and develop each one individually as you have time and cash. Even by introducing a number of paths on your garden will make the task appear much smaller and more manageable. 

If you know the plants that you like that will help too. I would buy a cheap soil test kit to make sure that you are  buying plants that suit your soil type. You will also need to consider your location and weather conditions.

One technique is to take a photo and print it out on normal paper and then draw your designs on top of the photo. This way you can have several goes at designing.

Does your husband have a preferred style? If so you will be able to find good examples on the Internet for inspiration.

15/10/2012 at 16:39
Cristopher2 I'm not happy you are posting with an almost exact copy of my,own name. I dont think other posters would like it either if their names were similarly copied
15/10/2012 at 17:12

Christopher 2- sorry, dont know what you are talking about.

Everyone thank you for your tips.

The plot has been untouched for a number of years now.

We do have a summer house at the end of the plot. I will try to send some photographs of it. Thanks again.

15/10/2012 at 20:09

Thanks for pointing that out Christopher2, it's not immediately obvious, can see it may get confusing though, having 2 posters with similar names, although good advise Cristopher2 .

email image
7 messages