London (change)
Today 24°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 16°C
4 messages
13/04/2014 at 21:26

Help! I'm after some advice...

My front garden (South facing) is currently paved over with bricks - I think these have been laid onto sand...

We had a little boy last year and would like to build a lawn for him to play on... Trouble is I haven't got a clue where to start... And we're on a tight budget so can't get a professional gardener in.

I'm thinking if I remove the bricks and then lay topsoil to a depth of 10cm or so and then either seed or turf the area then that might work... Like I say I'm a total novice!

Do I need to do anything else? I've heard I need to turn over the soil but there's likely to be root systems from nearby trees preventing this...

Drainage should be ok as the rain just soaks straight through the gaps in the bricks at the moment...

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks

13/04/2014 at 21:46

Hi Chris

This should give you the basic information you need  

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/lawns_sowlawn1.shtml - sowing seed will be much cheaper than turfing, and as your son won't be giving the lawn too much heavy wear just yet it'll get the chance to settle before he's scoring goals or practising flying tackles!

If you need more information please don't hesitate to ask - we were all beginners once!

13/04/2014 at 21:55

I have 2 kids and the drive way is used a lot more than the lawn. They can cycle, scoot and play more on paving than lawn. I would actually say decking the area would be better than lawn as you can sit out and your son can play safely in an enclosed space, so that is something to really think about.

I have changed my patio area a few times, lifting slabs laid on sand. I just forked up the sand to decompact it and then laid turf on top, quick and easy and cheap and it takes quickly. I find grass seed can take a while to thicken up and can't be used until it grows or you end up with bare patches.

13/04/2014 at 22:05

Aw Blairs!  small children, bare feet on the grass, daisies and dandelions ....... 

email image
4 messages