London (change)
Today 25°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 17°C
4 messages
11/04/2014 at 12:11

Good morning all! 

After receiving quotes of over 1k to turf and chip bark our garden I am aiming to do it myself. I have a lot of questions but the major one is regarding the turf. Our soil is rubbish and full of big stones and weeds. I am going to get a skip and big out around 4 inches. Do I then just need top soil before laying the turf? The area is only around 28m2 so not the biggest. Also does anyone know the best places to get this from? I live in Southampton and there are so many options online. The other area will be chip bark for the kids house, slide etc. 

Any help would be great!

11/04/2014 at 21:29

You do need to get rid of the large stones and thoroughly weed the area before laying turf but I question whether it is really necessary to dig out up to 4". It will be very hard work, the skip will cost about £150 if not more, and you will probably have to get a council licence if it has got to be on the road.  I would just rake the weeded soil really smooth, you could add some bought in top soil (I'm thinking about £100 per lorry load, but I may be out of date! - phone round for some quotations and don't go for the cheapest, spread this and then rake it again before laying turf. 

As for turf, most of the big chains will supply it, you could whizz round and inspect a few or see if you can get local recommendations. You need it nicely green, and moist as it mustn't dry out at all. I expect this website has a "how to do it" if you do search.

hope this helps.

12/04/2014 at 07:14

Thought this might be helpful http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/projects/lawn-care/how-to-lay-lawn-turf/181.html 

There's lots of videos online too 

Good luck  

13/04/2014 at 00:08

Hi

lizzie said most of what i would say anyway but, i wouldn't go cheap on the turf either. The cheap turf is more a less off a farmers meadow so in other word rubbish for a proper lawn. The price of half decent turf is £3 per m2 up more expensive the better ( it may vary in different areas ) i live in Lancashire 

If your on a budget why don't you seed it instead? it is a lot cheaper. 

£1000 for the job you described in my opinion is way over priced. 

you need to dig the stones out, you could weed kill the area first if you wish as long as you don't use a ground killing weed killer. Round up weedkiller is OK to use

email image
4 messages