Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

No idea how to start on overgrown garden

Hi anyone who reads this. Firstly - Thanks for reading, any help would be very appreciated!

So I am 5 months pregnant and have just finished working so thought now would be a great time to make our neglected overgrown garden into somewhere our little girl will enjoy. I have never gardened or done anything remotely green fingered in my life!

So, before I even tackle how to make it look pretty and garden ideas I know I have to tackle the weeds. In certain areas it is more weed than grass, and in other areas (like the side of the house which is a smallish awkward triangle shape, maybe starting at 2 meters at the widest before closing off) where it is all uneven ground with weeds up to my thighs!

Do I dig out any unwanted plants before or after weeding? ( for example we have a random patch of pond reeds in one corner!) 

How do I get rid of the weeds without killing too much grass? I dont care if the grass isnt ripe and green for this summer I just want it sorted. 

What should I do with the awkward triangle? We have 2 sheds that fit behind our garage.

What are some ideas for low maintenance plants and how do I even start a flower bed off?

What is pregnancy friendly and what do I have to get my partner to do?

I just feel a little overwhelmed! 

Thank you if anyone helps =)

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Hi Nicole - congratulations on forthcoming baby image  We'll do our best to give you some good advice but some of it will be to rest and put your feet up image

Can you take some pictures of the garden to give us a better idea of your options?

To post pics on here you need to click on the green tree icon on the toolbar at the top of where you type your post and follow the instructions - don't think it works from a phone - yet. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Scott EdwardsScott Edwards Posts: 227

Can you pop a photo or two on the forum to give us a better idea of what you've got.

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Welcome Nicole and congratulations image

I definitely think you will need to get your OH to do any heavy digging, you don't want to do anything that can put strain on tummy muscles and believe me you use muscles in gardening that you didn't know you had!!  Everyone thinks it's relaxing, I don't know where they get that idea from LOL!! image

Maybe try tackling the ground based weeds a bit at a time.

Like others have said, pics would help.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 9,012

Sounds like you need somebody with a strimmer or brush cutter to chop the weeds down as a first step.

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,697
    Congratulations.

Whatever you do with your garden, please bear in mind that your world will soon be turned upside down and you won't have the time or energy to cope with anything fancy. All grass with a tiny tub of flowers (providing your other half will do the mowing) to start with and think about cute stuff when you have got to grips with your infant.....could take 20 years.

I had a wonderful garden with a large veg area until my first arrived and after that I became the queen of the weeds.

Throw a garden party.....the sort where everyone does the gardening.